FdA Airline and Airport Management
Start Date: 13th September 2021
More about the course
Watch your career soar with an Airline and Airport Management degree. This degree is perfect if you have a passion for the aviation industry and are looking to work in an airport setting within management or at an operational level.
You will study topics such as aviation safety and security, air transport operations and aviation regulations all from tutors who have many years' experience of the industry, working at commercial and military airports and airlines including Virgin Atlantic, Jet2 and Air France. Through studying the degree you will develop your professional skills such as communication, leadership and teamwork.
64 UCAS points
If you are a current Newcastle College student and successfully pass your Level 3 course in an appropriate subject, you will be guaranteed a place on a degree course.
What will I learn?
- Academic Study Skills
- Personal Development or Recognition of Prior Learning
- Contemporary Aviation
- Ground Handling Management
- Work-Related Learning
- Customer Relationship
- Air Transport Compliance
- Developing Manager
- Professional Development
- Work-Based Learning
- Marketing and Social Media
- Air Transport Operations
- Disruption Management and Contingency Planning
- Commercial Management of Airline and Airports
- Operations Management
- Leadership and Motivation
How is the course taught?
- Site visits
- Guest lectures
How am I assessed?
- Written assessments
- Seminar delivery
You will undertake a work placement at either Newcastle International Airport or British Airways contact centre to apply what you have learnt in the classroom in the workplace. You will also kept up to date with developments in the industry through guest lectures from organisations such as Easyjet and Jet2. You will also have the chance to go on regional, national and international trips to enhance your learning.
Where can I progress?
Once you complete your degree you may decide to progress on the BA (Hons) Airline and Airport Management (Top-Up). You may also choose to seek employment within an airport in roles including security, passenger assistance, check in staff or cabin crew.
Course costs and information
Tuition Fees for full-time undergraduate UK and EU students is £9,000 per year. Read more about financial support.
NCG (the institution which Newcastle College University Centre belongs to) is in the process of applying for Indefinite Degree Awarding Powers. Read more about what this means about our offer here.
Get In Touch
What can I do with a qualification in Aviation?
- Organises and establishes control systems to monitor operational efficiency and performance of materials and systems.
- Ensures that equipment, operation and maintenance comply with design specifications and safety standards.
- Designs mechanical equipment, such as steam, internal combustion and other non-electrical motors for railway locomotives, road vehicles, aeroplanes and other machinery.
- Determines materials, equipment, piping, capacities, layout of plant or system and specification for manufacture.
- Undertakes research and advises on energy use, materials handling, thermodynamic processes, fluid mechanics, vehicles and environmental controls.
Median Salary£42,499 View more
Design and development engineers
- Prepares specifications for materials and other components.
- Produces final design information for use in preparation of layouts, parts lists, etc..
- Arranges construction and testing of model or prototype and modifies design if necessary.
- Prepares working designs for steam, aero, turbine, marine and electrical engines, mechanical instruments, aircraft and missile structures, vehicle and ship structures, plant and machinery equipment, domestic electrical appliances, building systems and services, and electronic computing and telecommunications equipment.
- Assesses product requirements, including costs, manufacturing feasibility and market requirements.
Median Salary£43,438 View more
Engineering professionals n.e.c.
- Provides technical consultancy services.
- Examines and advises on patent applications.
- Prepare sketches, drawings and specifications showing materials to be used, construction and finishing methods and other details.
- Devises and implements control systems to monitor operational efficiency and performance of system and materials.
- Designs new systems and equipment with regard to cost, market requirements and feasibility of manufacture.
- Establishes principles and techniques to improve the quality, durability and performance of materials such as textiles, glass, rubber, plastics, ceramics, metals and alloys.
- Researches into problem areas to advance basic knowledge, evaluate new theories and techniques and to solve specific problems.
Median Salary£41,841 View more
Aircraft pilots and flight engineers
- Accompanies pupil on training flights and demonstrates flying techniques.
- Performs specified tests to determine aircraft.
- Maintains radio contact and discusses weather conditions with air traffic controllers.
- Monitors fuel consumption, air pressure, engine performance and other indicators during flight and advises pilot of any factors that affect the navigation or performance of the aircraft.
- Directs or undertakes the operation of controls to fly aeroplanes and helicopters, complying with air traffic control and aircraft operating procedures.
- Directs or undertakes routine checks on engines, instruments, control panels, cargo distribution and fuel supplies.
- Studies flight plan, discusses it with flight deck crew and makes any necessary adjustments.
Median Salary£90,699 View more
Research and Development Managers
- Monitors the standards of scientific and technical research undertaken by the research team.
- Plans work schedules, assigns tasks and delegates responsibilities to the research and development team.
- Develops research methodology, implements and reports upon research investigations undertaken.
- Liaises with production departments to investigate and resolve manufacturing problems.
- Establishes product design and performance objectives in consultation with other business functions.