As an aviation student, you will experience the high life at our specialist Aviation Academy. Studying in our world-class aviation training environment based at Newcastle Airport, you will have access to industry-standard facilities, including a 1500m2 aircraft hangar housing two Jet Provost, avionics laboratory and BAE Jetstream 31 aircraft.
Our degrees will provide you with hands-on experience and our tutors are industry specialists from companies such as Virgin Atlantic, Jet2 and Air France. We pride ourselves on having tutors who have real-world experience of the industry you are passionate about and who will help send you soaring into your future career.
Investing in you
Newcastle College University Centre has been awarded £2m by the Office for Students (OfS) to invest in our STEM facilities including our Aviation Academy. Aviation students will benefit from leading-edge teaching facilities such as Avionic training simulators and even a brand new jet!
There's never been a better time to study Aviation at Newcastle College University Centre.Read more about our investment
What can I study?
Get In Touch
What can I do with an Aviation qualification?
- Organises and establishes control systems to monitor operational efficiency and performance of materials and systems.
- Ensures that equipment, operation and maintenance comply with design specifications and safety standards.
- Designs mechanical equipment, such as steam, internal combustion and other non-electrical motors for railway locomotives, road vehicles, aeroplanes and other machinery.
- Determines materials, equipment, piping, capacities, layout of plant or system and specification for manufacture.
- Undertakes research and advises on energy use, materials handling, thermodynamic processes, fluid mechanics, vehicles and environmental controls.
Median Salary£42,499 View more
Design and development engineers
- Prepares specifications for materials and other components.
- Produces final design information for use in preparation of layouts, parts lists, etc..
- Arranges construction and testing of model or prototype and modifies design if necessary.
- Prepares working designs for steam, aero, turbine, marine and electrical engines, mechanical instruments, aircraft and missile structures, vehicle and ship structures, plant and machinery equipment, domestic electrical appliances, building systems and services, and electronic computing and telecommunications equipment.
- Assesses product requirements, including costs, manufacturing feasibility and market requirements.
Median Salary£43,438 View more
Engineering professionals n.e.c.
- Provides technical consultancy services.
- Examines and advises on patent applications.
- Prepare sketches, drawings and specifications showing materials to be used, construction and finishing methods and other details.
- Devises and implements control systems to monitor operational efficiency and performance of system and materials.
- Designs new systems and equipment with regard to cost, market requirements and feasibility of manufacture.
- Establishes principles and techniques to improve the quality, durability and performance of materials such as textiles, glass, rubber, plastics, ceramics, metals and alloys.
- Researches into problem areas to advance basic knowledge, evaluate new theories and techniques and to solve specific problems.
Median Salary£41,841 View more
Aircraft pilots and flight engineers
- Accompanies pupil on training flights and demonstrates flying techniques.
- Performs specified tests to determine aircraft.
- Maintains radio contact and discusses weather conditions with air traffic controllers.
- Monitors fuel consumption, air pressure, engine performance and other indicators during flight and advises pilot of any factors that affect the navigation or performance of the aircraft.
- Directs or undertakes the operation of controls to fly aeroplanes and helicopters, complying with air traffic control and aircraft operating procedures.
- Directs or undertakes routine checks on engines, instruments, control panels, cargo distribution and fuel supplies.
- Studies flight plan, discusses it with flight deck crew and makes any necessary adjustments.
Median Salary£90,699 View more
Research and Development Managers
- Monitors the standards of scientific and technical research undertaken by the research team.
- Plans work schedules, assigns tasks and delegates responsibilities to the research and development team.
- Develops research methodology, implements and reports upon research investigations undertaken.
- Liaises with production departments to investigate and resolve manufacturing problems.
- Establishes product design and performance objectives in consultation with other business functions.
Median Salary£51,905 View more
How can I progress?
Earn while you learn with an Apprenticeship at Newcastle College.
Trying to make sense of your grades? Not sure what you can study? Read our handy 'levels explained' guide.
Not sure what you want to study at college? Browse by subject area and we will suggest a range of career options that might suit you!