Newcastle College Aviation Academy is a renowned £3.3 million training facility based at Newcastle's bustling International Airport. Recognised for outstanding commitment to education, our academy was awarded the 2018 Queen's Anniversary Prize for Higher and Further Education. Set in the heart of one of the UK's top student cities, there is no better place to study Aviation than in Newcastle.
Our philosophy is to provide world-class training for aviation operations professionals and aviation engineers, at both further and higher education levels.
Our curriculum is at the cutting-edge of industry and we work with support from organisations like Newcastle Airport, the Royal Air Force, British Airways and Virgin Atlantic. To help you gain employment in the sector, experience of work and exposure to real-working-life scenarios are embedded throughout our courses. You can learn within one of our industry standard aviation hangars, aboard our Boeing 737 or working to maintain one of our Jet Provosts or Jetstream planes.
Aviation at Newcastle College
What can I do with a qualification in Aviation?
- Organises and establishes control systems to monitor operational efficiency and performance of materials and systems.
- Ensures that equipment, operation and maintenance comply with design specifications and safety standards.
- Designs mechanical equipment, such as steam, internal combustion and other non-electrical motors for railway locomotives, road vehicles, aeroplanes and other machinery.
- Determines materials, equipment, piping, capacities, layout of plant or system and specification for manufacture.
- Undertakes research and advises on energy use, materials handling, thermodynamic processes, fluid mechanics, vehicles and environmental controls.
Median Salary£42,499 View more
- Prepares specifications for materials and other components.
- Produces final design information for use in preparation of layouts, parts lists, etc..
- Arranges construction and testing of model or prototype and modifies design if necessary.
- Prepares working designs for steam, aero, turbine, marine and electrical engines, mechanical instruments, aircraft and missile structures, vehicle and ship structures, plant and machinery equipment, domestic electrical appliances, building systems and services, and electronic computing and telecommunications equipment.
- Assesses product requirements, including costs, manufacturing feasibility and market requirements.
Median Salary£43,438 View more
- Provides technical consultancy services.
- Examines and advises on patent applications.
- Prepare sketches, drawings and specifications showing materials to be used, construction and finishing methods and other details.
- Devises and implements control systems to monitor operational efficiency and performance of system and materials.
- Designs new systems and equipment with regard to cost, market requirements and feasibility of manufacture.
- Establishes principles and techniques to improve the quality, durability and performance of materials such as textiles, glass, rubber, plastics, ceramics, metals and alloys.
- Researches into problem areas to advance basic knowledge, evaluate new theories and techniques and to solve specific problems.
Median Salary£41,841 View more
- Handles emergencies, unscheduled traffic and other unanticipated incidents.
- Discusses operational requirements with pilot, issues duty schedules for flight deck and cabin crews, maintains records of flight progress and authorises flight departure.
- Calculates fuel consumption and optimum flying height, plans route and prepares flight plan for aircraft pilot.
- Obtains information regarding weather conditions, navigational hazards, landing conditions, seating arrangements, loading of cargo, fuel and catering supplies.
- Directs movement of aircraft and motor vehicles on runways, taxiways and in parking bays.
- Gives landing instructions to pilot and monitors descent of aircraft.
- Directs the movement of aircraft en route to its destination and ensures minimum distances are maintained between planes.
- Maintains radio and/or radar or visual contact with aircraft and liaises with other air traffic controllers and control centres to direct aircraft in and out of controlled airspace and into holding areas ready for landing.
Median Salary£96,974 View more
- Accompanies pupil on training flights and demonstrates flying techniques.
- Performs specified tests to determine aircraft.
- Maintains radio contact and discusses weather conditions with air traffic controllers.
- Monitors fuel consumption, air pressure, engine performance and other indicators during flight and advises pilot of any factors that affect the navigation or performance of the aircraft.
- Directs or undertakes the operation of controls to fly aeroplanes and helicopters, complying with air traffic control and aircraft operating procedures.
- Directs or undertakes routine checks on engines, instruments, control panels, cargo distribution and fuel supplies.
- Studies flight plan, discusses it with flight deck crew and makes any necessary adjustments.
Median Salary£90,699 View more
- Directs and instructs passengers in the event of an emergency, ensures safety procedures are followed.
- Makes announcements on behalf of the pilot, demonstrates the use of emergency equipment and checks that safety belts are fastened.
- Sells duty-free goods during the flight.
- Ensures that sufficient stocks of meals and beverages are on board the aircraft prior to take off and serves passengers during the flight.
- Welcomes passengers on board the aircraft, guides them to their seats and assists with any hand luggage.
- Checks emergency equipment, distributes reading material, blankets and other items, and ensures that the aircraft is ready for the receipt of passengers.
- Receives passengers at airport terminal, examines tickets and other documentation, checks in luggage and distributes boarding passes.
Median Salary£21,504 View more
- Operates retractable gangway or positions mobile staircases to enable passengers and crew to board and disembark aircraft.
- Loads aircraft with luggage, in-flight meals, refreshments and other items.
- Loads and unloads conveyor belts to transport luggage between terminal buildings and aircraft, monitors conveyor belts and clears any blockages.
- Directs the ground movement of aircraft at airports.
- Refuels aircraft from mobile tankers.
Median Salary£24,643 View more
- Monitors the standards of scientific and technical research undertaken by the research team.
- Plans work schedules, assigns tasks and delegates responsibilities to the research and development team.
- Develops research methodology, implements and reports upon research investigations undertaken.
- Liaises with production departments to investigate and resolve manufacturing problems.
- Establishes product design and performance objectives in consultation with other business functions.
Median Salary£51,905 View more
Meet our students and tutors
Olivia WilliamsLevel 3 in Aviation Operations
"Newcastle College has great industry links. As part of the course we do ambassador roles at the airport. We gain experience of different roles, a real insight into the careers available. Through this I am now employed in the airport working in Security."
Sharon DaviesProgramme Leader - Aviation
"I have loved every aspect of my Aviation career, starting as cabin crew on short and long-haul flights. Becoming a trainer and deputy base manager at Jet2 I knew I had found my passion. Our students are a pleasure to teach as they are so enthusiastic about their course, I love Graduation seeing our students achieve their goals."
Melissa ThompsonLecturer - Aviation
"I gained excellent industry experience based on 12 years working at Newcastle Airport as a passenger service agent. I have worked for Newcastle college for 6 years working at Newcastle Aviation Academy gives me a great sense of achievement using my industry experience to give back to young people."
Get In Touch
do you want to...
Unlock the potential of your workforce?
Understand more about apprenticeships?
Find out about events and bespoke training solutions?