BSc (Hons) Aircraft Maintenance Engineering
Start Date: 12th September 2022
More about the course
This Aircraft Maintenance Engineering degree is the only degree of its kind in the North East and the course content is in line with the UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) Part 66 category B1.1 aircraft maintenance engineering license syllabus.
You will be taught aerodynamics, aircraft systems and maintenance practices by tutors who have many years' experience in aircraft engineering as well as the military. You will study at Newcastle College Aviation Academy, a PART 147 training facility, audited and approved by the CAA based at Newcastle International Airport. You will be motivated, a team player and enjoy problem solving.
Get In Touch
What can I do with a qualification in Aviation?
- Organises and establishes control systems to monitor operational efficiency and performance of materials and systems.
- Ensures that equipment, operation and maintenance comply with design specifications and safety standards.
- Designs mechanical equipment, such as steam, internal combustion and other non-electrical motors for railway locomotives, road vehicles, aeroplanes and other machinery.
- Determines materials, equipment, piping, capacities, layout of plant or system and specification for manufacture.
- Undertakes research and advises on energy use, materials handling, thermodynamic processes, fluid mechanics, vehicles and environmental controls.
Median Salary£42,499 View more
Design and development engineers
- Prepares specifications for materials and other components.
- Produces final design information for use in preparation of layouts, parts lists, etc..
- Arranges construction and testing of model or prototype and modifies design if necessary.
- Prepares working designs for steam, aero, turbine, marine and electrical engines, mechanical instruments, aircraft and missile structures, vehicle and ship structures, plant and machinery equipment, domestic electrical appliances, building systems and services, and electronic computing and telecommunications equipment.
- Assesses product requirements, including costs, manufacturing feasibility and market requirements.
Median Salary£43,438 View more
Engineering professionals n.e.c.
- Provides technical consultancy services.
- Examines and advises on patent applications.
- Prepare sketches, drawings and specifications showing materials to be used, construction and finishing methods and other details.
- Devises and implements control systems to monitor operational efficiency and performance of system and materials.
- Designs new systems and equipment with regard to cost, market requirements and feasibility of manufacture.
- Establishes principles and techniques to improve the quality, durability and performance of materials such as textiles, glass, rubber, plastics, ceramics, metals and alloys.
- Researches into problem areas to advance basic knowledge, evaluate new theories and techniques and to solve specific problems.
Median Salary£41,841 View more
Aircraft pilots and flight engineers
- Accompanies pupil on training flights and demonstrates flying techniques.
- Performs specified tests to determine aircraft.
- Maintains radio contact and discusses weather conditions with air traffic controllers.
- Monitors fuel consumption, air pressure, engine performance and other indicators during flight and advises pilot of any factors that affect the navigation or performance of the aircraft.
- Directs or undertakes the operation of controls to fly aeroplanes and helicopters, complying with air traffic control and aircraft operating procedures.
- Directs or undertakes routine checks on engines, instruments, control panels, cargo distribution and fuel supplies.
- Studies flight plan, discusses it with flight deck crew and makes any necessary adjustments.
Median Salary£90,699 View more
Research and Development Managers
- Monitors the standards of scientific and technical research undertaken by the research team.
- Plans work schedules, assigns tasks and delegates responsibilities to the research and development team.
- Develops research methodology, implements and reports upon research investigations undertaken.
- Liaises with production departments to investigate and resolve manufacturing problems.
- Establishes product design and performance objectives in consultation with other business functions.