Frequently Asked Questions

Before you decide on what to do next, it’s always good to find out everything you need to know before you make that step.

We’ve put together all of the FAQs that students ask about progressing their studies with us to help you make your decision. But if you want to know more, you can pop into Student Services in Armstrong House or contact us on 0191 200 400 or email us.

How do you apply?

To apply to stay at Newcastle College University Centre to study Higher Education you simply apply using our Internal Progression link here

When is the opening and closing date?

We're still accepting applications and will continue to throughout the summer. 

What are the main differences between studying at a college compared to a university?

At NCUC there are smaller class sizes which means you get more support. We also have industry standard facilities for hands on learning, with links to industry to get you career ready.

You will also have your dedicated space in the Hub as a Higher Educations student, as well as learning from industry experienced tutors and lecturers. At NCUC, we focus on getting you career-ready, so there are more opportunities for placements in the industry that you would like to work in.

What is the difference between a Foundation and an Honours degree?

A Foundation degree is a two plus one route - here you can study a programme for two years, at the end of the two years you can either leave with a qualification or top up your course for an extra year to come out with a Honours degree (this usually allows you to specialise in your third year). A Honours degree is a full three year programme.

Is a degree from the College the same as a degree from a university?

No. Newcastle College University Centre (NCUC) is an accredited College based Higher Education institute and has the same degree awarding powers as a University.

What is a Higher Degree Apprenticeship?

A Higher Degree Apprenticeship is advertised as a job. You will usually attend your place of work around 4 days a week and your employer will then provide you with the opportunity to study a degree to further develop your skills and knowledge. Your employer will also cover the cost.

What is meant by UCAS tariff points?

When studying a Level 3 programme depending on your grade you achieve, you will be given a fixed amount of UCAS points. When applying to University, each degree will have a target amount of UCAS points in order to gain a place. If you don’t achieve the amount stated you may not be offered a place.

I want to go to University but what if I can’t afford to pay for my degree?

Students can receive financial support from Student Finance England in order to help them fund their time at University; this includes a tuition fee loan which covers the cost of your degree and a maintenance loan which covers living costs. Whether you qualify for student finance depends on:
• Your university or college
• Your course
• If you’ve studied a higher education course before
• Your age
• Your nationality or residency status

For more information please visit the Student Finance website.

When do I start paying back my student loan and how much will I pay?

You will not pay anything off your student loan until you are in employment and earning over the threshold of £26,575, you will then pay 9% of your income above this threshold, if you don’t earn this amount you won’t pay. The important thing to remember is that the amount you’ll repay will be based on how much you earn, not how much you borrow. Any outstanding balance will be cancelled after 30 years and if you move overseas you’ll repay directly to the Student Loans Company.