Painter and Decorator Apprenticeship
Start Date: 5th September 2022
Other start dates:
Earlier start dates may be available.
More about the course
Do you want to brush up your skills and paint a creative and exciting future in an in-demand industry? If you want to earn while you learn, gain a trade and get into industry, this Painter and Decorator apprenticeship is for you.
This Painter and Decorator apprenticeship is set up to allow someone who wants to get into the decorating industry a starting point for a great future. You will learn all the necessary skills you need to become a skilled Painter and Decorator, including the preparation of different surfaces, application and removal methods of both paints and wallpaper.
Whilst on this apprenticeship you will be taught by experienced tutors and learn on-site working alongside a qualified tradesman. You will get to experience a real-life environment whilst working on-the-job in industry, whilst receiving the support from tutors at your days in college.
Paint a perfect future with this Painter and Decorator apprenticeship. Sign up today.
Get in touch
What can I do with a qualification in Construction
Bricklayers and Masons
- Levels, aligns and embeds stone in mortar and faces brick, concrete or steel frame with stone to make and repair structures.
- Uses hand and power tools to shape, trim, carve, cut letters in and polish stone.
- Spreads mortar on foundations and bricks, and places, levels and aligns bricks in mortar bed.
- Marks and cuts stone using hammers, mallet and hand or pneumatic chisels.
- Examines drawings, photographs and specifications to determine job requirements.
Median Salary£26,494 View more
Roofers, Roof Tilers and Slaters
- Seals edges of roof with mortar and ensures that joints are watertight.
- Lays, aligns and secures successive overlapping layers of roofing material.
- Lays and secures underfelt and covers with hot bitumen or other adhesive compound.
- Cuts wooden battens, felt and underfelt to required size.
- Measures roof or exterior wall and calculates required amounts of underfelt, tiles, slates or thatching material.
Median Salary£24,498 View more
Plumbers and Heating and Ventilating Engineers
- Repairs burst pipes and mechanical and combustion faults and replaces faulty taps, washers, valves, etc.
- Attaches fittings and joins piping by welding, soldering, cementing, fusing, screwing or other methods.
- Tests completed installation for leaks and makes any necessary adjustments.
- Installs fittings such as storage tanks, cookers, baths, toilets, taps and valves, refrigerators, boilers, radiators and fires.
- Measures and cuts required lengths of copper, lead, steel, iron, aluminium or plastic using hand or machine tools.
- Examines drawings and specifications to determine layout of system.
Median Salary£30,573 View more
Carpenters and Joiners
- Maintains and repairs woodwork and fittings.
- Checks accuracy of work with square, rule and spirit level.
- Aligns and fixes prepared wood pieces by screwing, nailing, gluing and dowelling to form frames, shop fronts, counter units, decking, theatrical sets, furniture, small wooden craft, scale models and wooden templates.
- Selects and measures appropriate wood and cuts, shapes and drills to specification using saws, planes, chisels and other power or hand tools.
- Examines drawings and specifications to determine job requirements.
Median Salary£26,909 View more
Construction and Building Trades n.e.c.
- Checks and puts on diving suit and equipment and descends underwater to carry out construction, maintenance and repair tasks on sites such as oil rigs, harbours, bridges etc.
- Erects and repairs fencing.
- Maintains and repairs steeples, industrial chimneys and other high structures, and installs and replaces lightning conductors.
- Installs plumbing fixtures, woodwork structures and fittings, and sets glass in frames.
- Pours and levels concrete, prepares surfaces for painting and plastering, and mixes and applies plaster and paint.
- Lays bricks, tiles and building blocks to construct, repair and decorate buildings.
- Selects, measures and cuts steel bars, rods and wire to required lengths, positions and fixes reinforcements into position and tensions as required using hydraulic jacks.
Median Salary£25,031 View more
- Checks surface level using line, spirit level and straight edge.
- Covers and seals joints between boards and finishes surface.
- Measures, cuts, installs and secures plaster board and/or ornamental plasterwork to walls and ceilings.
- Pours liquid plaster into mould to cast ornamental plaster work.
- Applies and smoothes one or more coats of plaster and produces a finished surface, using hand tools or mechanical spray.
- Mixes, or directs the mixing of, plaster to desired consistency.
Median Salary£27,456 View more
Floorers and Wall Tilers
- Mixes cement screed or other adhesive, cuts and positions floor and wall tiles and checks alignment of tiling with spirit level.
- Finishes covering by rolling, smoothing, grouting or polishing.
- Examines premises to plan suitable layout and cuts, lays and secures underlay, carpet and linoleum.
- Cleans floor surface, fixes wooden laying guides and mixes, pours and levels granite and terrazzo mixtures, bitumen, synthetic resin or other composition mixtures to form flooring.
- Examines drawings and specifications to determine job requirements.
Median Salary£24,499 View more
Painters and Decorators
- Stains, waxes and french polishes wood surfaces by hand.
- Mixes adhesive or removes self-adhesive backing and positions covering material on wall, matching up patterns where appropriate and removing wrinkles and air bubbles by hand or brush.
- Applies primer, undercoat and finishing coat(s) using brush, roller, or spray equipment.
- Prepares surfaces by cleaning, sanding and filling cracks and holes with appropriate filler.
- Erects working platform or scaffolding up to five metres in height.
Median Salary£23,103 View more
Construction and Building Trades Supervisors
- Reports as required to managerial staff on work-related matters.
- Determines or recommends staffing and other needs to meet productivity requirements.
- Liaises with managers and contractors to resolve operational problems.
- Establishes and monitors work schedules to meet productivity requirements.
- Directly supervises and coordinates the activities of construction and building workers and/or subcontractors.
Median Salary£33,787 View more
Glass and Ceramics Makers, Decorators and Finishers
- Applies decorative designs and finishes to glassware, optical glass and ceramic goods by grinding, smoothing, polishing, cutting, etching, dipping, painting or transferring patterns or labels.
- Cuts and joins unfired stoneware pipes to form junctions and gullies, moulds sealing bands on clay pipes, prepares and joins porcelain or earthenware components and assists crucible makers and stone workers with their tasks.
- Throws, casts and presses clay by hand or machine to form pottery, stoneware or refractory goods such as bricks, crucibles, ornaments, sanitary furnishings, saggars, cups, saucers, plates and roofing tiles.
- Makes models and moulds from moulding clay and plaster for use in the making and casting of pottery and other ceramic goods.
- Makes artificial eyes, laminated glass sheets or blocks, glass fibre tissue, wool, filament and matting, marks optical lenses and assembles rimless spectacles.
- Uses hand tools and operates machinery to heat, bend, shape, press, drill and cut glass.