Roofers, Roof Tilers and Slaters
Job holders in this unit group cover roofs and exterior walls with felting, sheeting, slates, tiles and thatch to provide a waterproof surface.
New workers start around £17,071. Normal pay is £24,498 per year. Highly experienced workers can earn up to £33,812.
- Seals edges of roof with mortar and ensures that joints are watertight.
- Lays, aligns and secures successive overlapping layers of roofing material.
- Lays and secures underfelt and covers with hot bitumen or other adhesive compound.
- Cuts wooden battens, felt and underfelt to required size.
- Measures roof or exterior wall and calculates required amounts of underfelt, tiles, slates or thatching material.
Skills employers are asking for
- Critical Thinking
- Learning Strategies
- Active Learning
- Reading Comprehension
- Active Listening
If you’re looking to wipe the slate clean or get an insight into this in-demand industry, the Level 2 Roofing apprenticeship could be for you.
Length: 2 years
Start Date: Various
Location: Employer Based