Bricklayers and Masons
Bricklayers and masons erect and repair structures of stone, brick and similar materials and cut, shape and polish granite, marble, slate and other stone for building, ornamental and other purposes.
New workers start around £18,622. Normal pay is £26,494 per year. Highly experienced workers can earn up to £35,397.
- Levels, aligns and embeds stone in mortar and faces brick, concrete or steel frame with stone to make and repair structures.
- Uses hand and power tools to shape, trim, carve, cut letters in and polish stone.
- Spreads mortar on foundations and bricks, and places, levels and aligns bricks in mortar bed.
- Marks and cuts stone using hammers, mallet and hand or pneumatic chisels.
- Examines drawings, photographs and specifications to determine job requirements.
Skills employers are asking for
- Critical Thinking
- Reading Comprehension
- Learning Strategies
- Active Listening
- Active Learning