People are at the heart of what we do here at Newcastle College Health and Care. Our mission is to inspire the next generation of care workers in the UK, and develop a workforce that delivers outstanding service, compassion and an unwavering dedication to good practice. We offer a flexible approach to learning that allows students to choose from online, part-time or full-time courses.
We have a strong reputation for quality and for providing progression opportunities for students of all abilities. We prepare our students for careers in the health and social care sectors and offer courses in health and social care, healthcare practice, counselling and therapeutic communication and public health. We understand that experience is essential to succeeding in the sector. That's why we embed experience of work within our curriculum and have developed strong links to industry. On a number of our programmes we work with organisations like the NHS, St John Ambulance and West End Foodbank. If you're a compassionate person who likes to work with people, these courses are for you.
Health and Care at Newcastle College
What can I do with a qualification in Health and Care?
- Maintains patient records, manages caseloads.
- Counsels clients in ways to promote a healthy lifestyle, prevention of illness and/or preparation for coping with increasing stages of illness.
- Makes home visits to clients, families and carers to organise support and rehabilitation and assist them to deal and cope with disability.
- Trains students and supervises the work of occupational therapy assistants.
- Liaises with a wide variety of other professionals in planning and reviewing ongoing treatments.
- Devises, designs, initiates and monitors carefully selected and graded treatments and activities as part of the assessment and intervention process.
- Considers the physical, psychological and social needs of a patient that may result from illness, injury, congenital condition or lifestyle problems.
Median Salary£38,061 View more
- Writes reports and maintains client caseloads.
- Counsels relatives to help cope with the problems created by a patient.
- Attends case conferences and liaises with other specialists such as doctors, teachers, social workers and psychologists.
- Treats speech and language disorders by coaching and counselling clients or through the use of artificial communication devices.
- Designs and initiates appropriate rehabilitation and/or remedial programmes of treatment.
- Assesses, tests and diagnoses a client.
Median Salary£35,668 View more
- Diagnoses and treats behavioural problems in animals.
- Assesses and provides treatment for people with mental disabilities, or those suffering with mental illness, stress, and emotional and relationship problems.
- Administers aromatic herbs and oils and massage to relieve pain and restore health.
- Adopts a holistic approach in assessing the overall health of the patient, and treats by inserting needles under the skin at particular locations according to the disorder being treated.
- Manipulates and massages patient to discover the cause of pain, relieve discomfort, restore function and mobility and to correct irregularities in body structure.
- Diagnoses and treats disorders of vision and eye movements, monitors subsequent progress and recommends further optical, pharmacological or surgical treatment as required.
- Prescribes diet therapy and gives advice to patients, health care professionals and the public on dietetic and nutritional matters for those with special dietary requirements or to prevent illness amongst the general population.
Median Salary£37,682 View more
- Discusses student.
- Updates and maintains students.
- Liaises with other professionals, such as social workers, speech and language therapists and educational psychologists.
- Supervises students in classroom and maintains discipline.
- Prepares, assigns and corrects exercises to record and evaluate students progress.
- Encourages the student to develop self-help skills to circumvent the limitations imposed by their disability.
- Develops and adapts conventional teaching methods to meet the individual student.
- Gives instruction, using techniques appropriate to the student.
- Assesses student.
- Creates a safe, stimulating and supportive learning environment for students.
Median Salary£43,982 View more
- Provides feedback to teachers and completes and maintains records.
- Attends to child.
- Helps and encourages child to communicate.
- Implements care programmes, as appropriate.
- Identifies signs of distress and offers reassurance.
- Helps child understand instruction through a variety of means and encourages self-confidence and independence.
- Supports schoolwork under teacher.
Median Salary£20,536 View more
- Keeps records and writes reports.
- Maintains contact and discusses problems/progress with other staff and social workers.
- Establishes and maintains contact with members of the neighbouring community and/or the residents.
- Provides one-to-one counselling or group therapy.
- Ensures that all material needs of residents are provided and endeavours to resolve any problems that they may have.
- Plans and participates in games and leisure activities to encourage emotional, social, physical and intellectual development.
- Creates friendly, secure atmosphere and tries to gain the trust and confidence of those in the home or under supervision.
Median Salary£24,195 View more
- Supervises and accompanies children who are taking part in a theatrical, television or film production.
- Communicates with colleagues and maintains accurate records.
- Supervises contact between parents and separated children.
- Organises toilet and meal stops, as appropriate.
- Supports and secures chair bound clients.
- Transports clients safely and securely between approved destinations.
Median Salary£19,814 View more
- Prepares and delivers lectures, undertakes research, and conducts and participates in clinical trials.
- Maintains patients.
- Refers patient to specialist, where necessary.
- Educates patients on oral health care.
- Supervises patient.
- Constructs and fits braces, inlays, dentures and other appliances.
- Carries out clinical treatments, restores teeth affected by decay etc., treats gum disease and other disorders.
- Administers local anaesthetics.
- Assesses and recommends treatment options to patients.
- Examines patient.
Median Salary£56,262 View more
- Delivers lectures and other forms of formal training relating to nursing practice.
- Plans, manages, provides and evaluates nursing care services for patients, supervises the implementation of nursing care plans.
- Advises on nursing care, disease prevention, nutrition, etc. and liaises with hospital board/ management on issues concerning nursing policy.
- Plans duty rotas and organises and directs the work and training of ward and theatre nursing staff.
- Participates in the preparation for physical and psychological treatment of mentally ill patients.
- Monitors patient.
- Manages own case load.
- Assists medical doctors and works with other healthcare professionals to deal with emergencies and pre-planned treatment of patients.
Median Salary£37,835 View more
- Delivers lectures and other forms of training in midwifery practice.
- Plans and manages midwifery care services.
- Supervises more junior staff and directs the work of the midwifery unit.
- Advises on baby care, exercise, diet and family planning issues.
- Monitors recovery of mother in postnatal period and supervises the nursing of premature and other babies requiring special attention.
- Delivers babies in normal births and assists doctors with difficult deliveries.
- Monitors condition and progress of patient and baby throughout pregnancy.
Median Salary£43,303 View more
Meet our students and tutors
Yussy GeorgeLevel 3 - Health and Care
I've finished my Level 3 in Health and Social Care. I enjoyed my experience at college and want continue my degree here rather than at another uni.
Get In Touch
do you want to...
Unlock the potential of your workforce?
Understand more about apprenticeships?
Find out about events and bespoke training solutions?