CertHE Musical Theatre
Start Date: 9th September 2024
More about the course
Prepare to enter the spotlight with this exciting and highly practical one-year Musical Theatre course. You will be trained to sing, dance and act, developing a broad range of performance skills, through the practice of west end musicals.
This HE certificate combines academic theory with the technical skills required for a successful career in the musical theatre industry. At Newcastle College University Centre we offer comprehensive training classes in singing ensemble and solo performance, jazz, and tap dance, alongside choreography and staging musical theatre workshops to make sure you're just as comfortable taking centre stage as directing from offstage.
Learn from our highly experienced tutors and their expansive professional networks to cultivate a range of skills as you are guided through audition techniques that will give you the edge in your future career in musical theatre. You will also create a personal development portfolio to support your progression to our own FdA and BA (Hons) programmes or to other external programmes.
Get In Touch
What can I do with a qualification in Performing Arts?
Actors, Entertainers and Presenters
- Plays pre-recorded music at nightclubs, discotheques, and private functions.
- Conducts interviews and prepares reports for news broadcasts, current affairs programmes and documentaries.
- Introduces and presents radio and television programmes, reads news bulletins and makes announcements.
- Trains animals to perform entertaining routines and may perform with them.
- Performs singing, comedy, acrobatic, illusion and conjuring routines.
- Assumes character created by a playwright or author and communicates this to an audience.
- Studies script, play or book and prepares and rehearses interpretation.
Median Salary£33,513 View more
Dancers and Choreographers
- Demonstrates and directs dance moves, monitors and analyses technique and performance, and determines how improvements can be made.
- Participates in dance performance.
- Attends rehearsals to develop and practice dance routines for performance.
- Builds and maintains stamina, physical strength, agility and general health through fitness exercises and healthy eating.
Median Salary£33,148 View more
- Auditions and selects performers and rehearses and conducts them in the performance of the composition.
- Scores music for different combinations of voices and instruments to produce desired effect.
- Plays instrument as a soloist or as a member of a group or orchestra.
- Tunes instrument and studies and rehearses score.
- Conceives and writes original music.
Median Salary£38,203 View more
Arts Officers, Producers and Directors
- Selects, contracts, markets and arranges for the presentation and/or distribution of performance, visual and heritage arts.
- Manages health and safety issues.
- Ensures necessary equipment, props, performers and technical staff are on set when required.
- Prepares rehearsal and production schedule for main events, design of sets and costumes, technical rehearsals and dress rehearsals.
- Breaks script into scenes and formulates a shooting schedule that will be most economical in terms of time, location and sets.
- Directs actors, designers, camera team, sound crew and other production and technical staff to achieve desired effects.
- Chooses writers, scripts, technical staff and performers, and assumes overall responsibility for completion of project on time and within budget.