Art and Design
People in Art and Design occupations create art and fine craftwork, design clothing, furniture and materials, design graphics and interior spaces.
Many within this sector work in management and administrative roles, overseeing creative and business development. For example fashion management, merchandising, editorial and events and gallery management.
What can I do with a qualification in Art and Design?
- Produces works on commission basis for clients.
- Markets and sells finished work directly to customers.
- Liaises with writers and publishers to produce book illustrations.
- Uses artistic skills to restore damaged artworks.
- Approaches managers of galleries and exhibitions in order to get finished work displayed.
- Builds up composition into finished work by carving, sculpting, etching, painting, engraving, drawing, etc..
- Prepares sketches, scale drawings or colour schemes.
- Selects appropriate materials, medium and method.
- Onceives and develops ideas and ways of working for artistic composition.
Median Salary£26,452 View more
- Produces or oversees creation of the final product.
- Liaises with other parts of the production team to ensure graphic design fits with other elements, processes and timescales.
- Prepares specification and instructions for realisation of the project.
- Prepares sketches, scale drawings, models, colour schemes and other mock-ups to show clients and discusses any required alterations.
- Undertakes research into project, considers previous related projects and compares costs of using different processes.
- Liaises with client to clarify aims of project brief, discusses media, software and technology to be used, establishes timetable for project and defines budgetary constraints.
Median Salary£28,115 View more
Product, clothing and related designers
- Observes and manages intellectual property issues.
- Specifies materials, production method and finish for aesthetic or functional effect, and oversees production of sample and/or finished product.
- Submits design to management, sales department or client for approval, communicates design rationale and makes any necessary alterations.
- Prepares sketches, designs, mock-ups and storyboards for consideration by theatre/film director or client.
- Prepares sketches, designs, patterns or prototypes for textiles, clothing, footwear, jewellery, fashion accessories, set props, wigs, ceramics, plastics, motor vehicles, domestic appliances and engineering products.
- Undertakes research to determine market trends, production requirements, availability of resources and formulates design concepts.
- Liaises with client to determine the purpose, cost, technical specification and potential uses/users of product.
Median Salary£30,535 View more
Tailors and dressmakers
- Makes alterations to finished garments according to customer.
- Shapes garment by pressing seams, pleats, etc..
- Sews garment parts together by hand or machine, makes buttonholes and sews on fasteners and trimmings.
- Pins/tacks and fits garment on customer or dummy model and makes any necessary alterations.
- Arranges pattern on correct grain of fabric, marks position and cuts out garment parts with hand shears, electric knife or cutting machine.
- Examines fabrics or skins for flaws and prepares materials for cutting.
- Prepares individual or adapts stock pattern.
- Takes customer.
Median Salary£22,779 View more
Architectural and Town Planning Technicians
- Checks that completed work conforms to specifications.
- Issues development permits as authorised.
- Surveys land and property uses and prepares report for planning authority.
- Liaises with engineers and building contractors regarding technical construction problems and attends site meetings on behalf of architect.
- Prepares building plans, drawings and specifications for use by contractors.
- Investigates proposed design with regard to practicality, cost and use.
Median Salary£29,711 View more
Journalists, Newspaper and Periodical Editors
- Liaises with production staff in checking final proof copies immediately prior to printing.
- Selects material for broadcast or publication, checks style, grammar, accuracy and legality of content and arranges for any necessary revisions.
- Writes articles and features and submits draft manuscripts to newspaper, magazine, periodical or programme editor.
- Determines subject matter and undertakes research by interviewing, attending public events, seeking out records, reviewing written work, attending film and stage performances etc..
Median Salary£37,116 View more
Glass and Ceramics Process Operatives
- Cuts off heat supply after firing/heating/drying and cleans furnace and kiln areas.
- Monitors temperature of drying and annealing kilns and reports any significant deviations from schedule sheet.
- Operates controls to rotate rotary furnaces and create a vacuum in vacuum furnaces, ensures that static furnaces are correctly positioned and switches on current.
- Sets timing and temperature controls, monitors pressure gauges, adjusts controls as necessary and regulates level of glass in furnace as required.
- Directs loading of furnace with prescribed quantities and types of ingredients.
Median Salary£21,233 View more
Textile Process Operatives
- Cleans and oils machine, detects and reports mechanical faults to technicians.
- Stretches, shrinks, brushes, dampens and presses fabric and shears or burns off protruding fabric fibres as required.
- Examines colour cards or specifications, estimates quantity of colouring material needed to print or dye fibre and calculates and mixes ingredients accordingly.
- Checks quality of completed material, marks any flaws and removes badly damaged sections.
- Detects blockages, tangled thread, defective or broken material, and joins broken ends by hand or mechanical knotting.
- Replenishes the supply of input fibres, removes and replaces full output packages, cards and spools.
- Sets controls, starts machinery and monitors the passage of material processed.
Median Salary£21,955 View more
Advertising accounts managers and creative directors
- Arranges conferences, exhibitions, seminars, etc. to promote the image of a product, service or organisation.
- Stays abreast of changes in media, readership or viewing figures and advertising rates.
- Reviews and revises campaign in light of sales figures, surveys, etc..
- Conceives advertising campaign to impart the desired product image in an effective and economical way.
- Liaises with client to discuss product/service to be marketed, defines target group and assesses the suitability of various media.