Many within this sector work in management and administrative roles, overseeing creative and business development. For example fashion management, merchandising, editorial and events and gallery management.
What can I do with a qualification in Art and Design?
- Produces works on commission basis for clients.
- Markets and sells finished work directly to customers.
- Liaises with writers and publishers to produce book illustrations.
- Uses artistic skills to restore damaged artworks.
- Approaches managers of galleries and exhibitions in order to get finished work displayed.
- Builds up composition into finished work by carving, sculpting, etching, painting, engraving, drawing, etc..
- Prepares sketches, scale drawings or colour schemes.
- Selects appropriate materials, medium and method.
- Onceives and develops ideas and ways of working for artistic composition.
Median Salary£26,452 View more
- Produces or oversees creation of the final product.
- Liaises with other parts of the production team to ensure graphic design fits with other elements, processes and timescales.
- Prepares specification and instructions for realisation of the project.
- Prepares sketches, scale drawings, models, colour schemes and other mock-ups to show clients and discusses any required alterations.
- Undertakes research into project, considers previous related projects and compares costs of using different processes.
- Liaises with client to clarify aims of project brief, discusses media, software and technology to be used, establishes timetable for project and defines budgetary constraints.
Median Salary£28,115 View more
- Observes and manages intellectual property issues.
- Specifies materials, production method and finish for aesthetic or functional effect, and oversees production of sample and/or finished product.
- Submits design to management, sales department or client for approval, communicates design rationale and makes any necessary alterations.
- Prepares sketches, designs, mock-ups and storyboards for consideration by theatre/film director or client.
- Prepares sketches, designs, patterns or prototypes for textiles, clothing, footwear, jewellery, fashion accessories, set props, wigs, ceramics, plastics, motor vehicles, domestic appliances and engineering products.
- Undertakes research to determine market trends, production requirements, availability of resources and formulates design concepts.
- Liaises with client to determine the purpose, cost, technical specification and potential uses/users of product.
Median Salary£30,535 View more
- Makes alterations to finished garments according to customer.
- Shapes garment by pressing seams, pleats, etc..
- Sews garment parts together by hand or machine, makes buttonholes and sews on fasteners and trimmings.
- Pins/tacks and fits garment on customer or dummy model and makes any necessary alterations.
- Arranges pattern on correct grain of fabric, marks position and cuts out garment parts with hand shears, electric knife or cutting machine.
- Examines fabrics or skins for flaws and prepares materials for cutting.
- Prepares individual or adapts stock pattern.
- Takes customer.
Median Salary£22,779 View more
- Checks that completed work conforms to specifications.
- Issues development permits as authorised.
- Surveys land and property uses and prepares report for planning authority.
- Liaises with engineers and building contractors regarding technical construction problems and attends site meetings on behalf of architect.
- Prepares building plans, drawings and specifications for use by contractors.
- Investigates proposed design with regard to practicality, cost and use.
Median Salary£29,711 View more
- Liaises with production staff in checking final proof copies immediately prior to printing.
- Selects material for broadcast or publication, checks style, grammar, accuracy and legality of content and arranges for any necessary revisions.
- Writes articles and features and submits draft manuscripts to newspaper, magazine, periodical or programme editor.
- Determines subject matter and undertakes research by interviewing, attending public events, seeking out records, reviewing written work, attending film and stage performances etc..
Median Salary£37,116 View more
- Cuts off heat supply after firing/heating/drying and cleans furnace and kiln areas.
- Monitors temperature of drying and annealing kilns and reports any significant deviations from schedule sheet.
- Operates controls to rotate rotary furnaces and create a vacuum in vacuum furnaces, ensures that static furnaces are correctly positioned and switches on current.
- Sets timing and temperature controls, monitors pressure gauges, adjusts controls as necessary and regulates level of glass in furnace as required.
- Directs loading of furnace with prescribed quantities and types of ingredients.
Median Salary£21,233 View more
- Cleans and oils machine, detects and reports mechanical faults to technicians.
- Stretches, shrinks, brushes, dampens and presses fabric and shears or burns off protruding fabric fibres as required.
- Examines colour cards or specifications, estimates quantity of colouring material needed to print or dye fibre and calculates and mixes ingredients accordingly.
- Checks quality of completed material, marks any flaws and removes badly damaged sections.
- Detects blockages, tangled thread, defective or broken material, and joins broken ends by hand or mechanical knotting.
- Replenishes the supply of input fibres, removes and replaces full output packages, cards and spools.
- Sets controls, starts machinery and monitors the passage of material processed.
Median Salary£21,955 View more
- Arranges conferences, exhibitions, seminars, etc. to promote the image of a product, service or organisation.
- Stays abreast of changes in media, readership or viewing figures and advertising rates.
- Reviews and revises campaign in light of sales figures, surveys, etc..
- Conceives advertising campaign to impart the desired product image in an effective and economical way.
- Liaises with client to discuss product/service to be marketed, defines target group and assesses the suitability of various media.
Median Salary£44,714 View more
Art and Design at Newcastle College
Meet the Students & Tutors
Aleaha WilfordFdA Fashion
"The course has given me new and exciting opportunities. New York Chic contacted me to be an ambassador for them after I posted photographs of my garnets online. "
Yasmina MagdyFdA Fashion and Retail
"My course is very hands on and I have received great support from the tutors. The course is giving me the confidence to approach companies and get experience. I am able to use that experience as part of the course."