Tailors and dressmakers
Tailors and dressmakers prepare patterns and make, fit and alter tailored garments, dresses and other articles of clothing.
New workers start around £18,095. Normal pay is £22,779 per year. Highly experienced workers can earn up to £35,175.
- Makes alterations to finished garments according to customer.
- Shapes garment by pressing seams, pleats, etc..
- Sews garment parts together by hand or machine, makes buttonholes and sews on fasteners and trimmings.
- Pins/tacks and fits garment on customer or dummy model and makes any necessary alterations.
- Arranges pattern on correct grain of fabric, marks position and cuts out garment parts with hand shears, electric knife or cutting machine.
- Examines fabrics or skins for flaws and prepares materials for cutting.
- Prepares individual or adapts stock pattern.
- Takes customer.
Skills employers are asking for
- Learning Strategies
- Critical Thinking
- Active Learning
- Reading Comprehension
- Active Listening