Newcastle College Automotive Academy offers specialist training in the automotive sector. Accredited by the Institute of Motor Industry and AutoRaise, our facilities replicate those found in industry, providing our students with real knowledge and experience of work. As a student you can train in our industry standard Automotive Academy, based on Invincible Drive in Newcastle.
We deliver a range of apprenticeships and full time courses for 16-18 year olds and adults. We offer a full suite of training with our courses covering everything from vehicle maintenance to vehicle repair to painting and refinishing. The courses are delivered by experienced tutors who have experience within the industry and we work with local employers to deliver advanced masterclasses and experience of work for our students and apprentices. Many of our alumni have gone on to set up their businesses and work for companies like Nissan and Vertu Motors.
Automotive at Newcastle College
What can I do with a qualification in Automotive?
- Repairs and services air conditioning, heating and engine-cooling systems.
- Installs additional electrical amenities such as radio/CD players, aerials.
- Checks condition of electrical/electronic systems and carries out servicing tasks.
- Diagnoses faults in electrical/electronic circuitry, removes faulty components and fits replacements.
- Carries out routine maintenance checks on oil and air filters, brakes and other vehicle parts/systems.
- Reassembles, tests, adjusts and tunes the appropriate parts, systems or entire engine.
- Removes, dismantles, repairs and replaces defective parts and prepares new parts using appropriate tools.
- Visually checks, test drives or uses test equipment to diagnose engine and mechanical faults.
Median Salary£25,953 View more
- Positions, secures and repairs external fittings including windows, doors, door handles, catches and roof attachments.
- Installs and repairs interior fittings including seats, seatbelts and fascia in cars, sinks and special features in caravans and mobile shops.
- Hammers out dents in bodywork, fills in small depressions or corroded areas in solder, plastic or other filler compound and replaces body panels using hand and power tools.
- Repairs damage to chassis and engine mountings using hydraulic rams, jacks and jigs.
- Selects, cuts, shapes and assembles materials to form parts of vehicle underframe, framework and body.
- Diagnoses job requirements or ascertains work specifications from drawings or instructions.
Median Salary£24,160 View more
- Liaises with professional staff in carrying out care plans etc.
- Monitors service users.
- Undertakes light cleaning and domestic duties including meal preparation as required.
- Helps with daily activities such as letter writing, paying bills, collecting benefits.
- Provides interest and activities to stimulate and engage the service user.
- Generally assists with service users.
- Serves meals to service users at table or in bed, and assists with feeding if required.
- Assists and enables service users to dress, undress, wash, use the toilet and bathe.
Median Salary£19,742 View more
- Orders new supplies, arranges storage and updates stock records.
- Organises delivery of parts and handles payment.
- Obtains parts from store or orders from suppliers.
- Receives orders for parts by phone, email or in person and checks availability on stock record.
- Updates stock record, orders new vehicles from manufacturer, buys in used cars.
- Carries out pre-delivery inspection and formal hand-over of vehicle to customer.
- Negotiates sale price including any ‘trade-in’ and extra accessories, works out finance arrangements and completes sales paperwork.
- Discusses customer.
Median Salary£21,849 View more
Meet our students and tutors
Ashley DeaneCurriculum Leader - Automotive
"I’ve made an amazing career in this industry and want to help others do the same. I love the satisfaction of seeing a student progress, turning into an employable professional. Growth, technological advances and change are in abundance in this sector and we are at the edge of some huge fundamental differences in personal transport that will create a new era of technical experts. If that’s not exciting, I don’t know what is!"
Colin GreatheadProgramme Leader - Automotive
"The projection of technology and the rate at which it changes in the Automotive Industry makes this subject so exciting. I have worked in Industry and Education helping apprentices, trainee’s and students develop their skills and knowledge. Automotive has been part of my life longer than I can remember!"
Kevin IllingworthCourse Leader - Automotive
"I have lots of years’ experience teaching and working in the Automotive industry, working for brands like Nissan. My job gives me the chance to teach the things I am most passionate about. Teaching Automotive is interesting, rewarding and lots of fun."
Tony NeildLecturer - Automotive
"Automotive is an ever-changing sector that has grown faster than most other things of our time. I want to share my knowledge so I can help build a new generation of skilled, professional and diligent Technicians."
Get In Touch
do you want to...
Unlock the potential of your workforce?
Understand more about apprenticeships?
Find out about events and bespoke training solutions?