BA (Hons) Children and Young People (Top Up)
Start Date: 11th September 2023
More about the course
This Children and Young People degree will allow you to build on the professional skills and knowledge you gained at Foundation Degree level. It is also the next step towards a PGCE qualification if you are looking to go into teaching. You will be committed, motivated, be passionate about working with children and want to make a positive impact on their development. You will cover topics such as safeguarding, young people in society and equality and diversity, learning from tutors who have worked in a variety of roles in nurseries, schools and education and youth settings. You will develop enhanced research skills by completing a dissertation on an area of your choice.
Get In Touch
What can I do with a qualification in Childcare?
Primary and nursery education teaching professionals
- Assists with or plans and develops curriculum and rota of teaching duties.
- Discusses progress with student, parents and/or other education professionals.
- Supervises teaching assistants and trainees.
- Undertakes pastoral duties.
- Teaches simple songs and rhymes, reads stories and organises various activities to promote language, social and physical development.
- Supervises students and maintains classroom discipline.
- Maintains records of students.
- Prepares students for external examinations and administers and invigilates these examinations.
- Prepares, assigns and corrects exercises and examinations to record and evaluate students.
- Prepares and delivers courses and lessons in accordance with curriculum requirements and teaches a range of subjects.
Median Salary£46,457 View more
Special needs education teaching professionals
- Discusses student.
- Updates and maintains students.
- Liaises with other professionals, such as social workers, speech and language therapists and educational psychologists.
- Supervises students in classroom and maintains discipline.
- Prepares, assigns and corrects exercises to record and evaluate students progress.
- Encourages the student to develop self-help skills to circumvent the limitations imposed by their disability.
- Develops and adapts conventional teaching methods to meet the individual student.
- Gives instruction, using techniques appropriate to the student.
- Assesses student.
- Creates a safe, stimulating and supportive learning environment for students.
Median Salary£43,982 View more
Nursery nurses and assistants
- Communicates with parents and colleagues on children.
- Writes reports on children.
- Reads stories, organises counting games to help develop language and number skills.
- Plans and organises games and other activities and supervises children.
- Supervises young children at mealtimes.
- Baths, dresses, prepares feed for and feeds babies, changes babies clothing whenever necessary.
Median Salary£18,977 View more
Childminders and related occupations
- Complies with regulations set by OFSTED and their inspection requirements.
- Maintains appropriate records of children.
- Takes older children to and from school.
- Takes children to participate in play groups or on appropriate outings.
- Provides, supervises and participates in children.
- Mends, washes and irons children.
- Plans, prepares and serves children.
- Changes babies.
- Assists children to wash and dress.
Median Salary£20,305 View more
- Liaises with parents, carers and colleagues and keeps appropriate records.
- Puts away equipment and cleans premises after use.
- Organises and supervises children.
- Organises and supervises children on excursions.
- Encourages children.
- Provides play areas and prepares materials for a wide range of children.
- Supervises children.
Median Salary£18,795 View more
Houseparents and residential wardens
- Keeps records and writes reports.
- Maintains contact and discusses problems/progress with other staff and social workers.
- Establishes and maintains contact with members of the neighbouring community and/or the residents.
- Provides one-to-one counselling or group therapy.
- Ensures that all material needs of residents are provided and endeavours to resolve any problems that they may have.
- Plans and participates in games and leisure activities to encourage emotional, social, physical and intellectual development.
- Creates friendly, secure atmosphere and tries to gain the trust and confidence of those in the home or under supervision.
Median Salary£24,195 View more
- Supervises and accompanies children who are taking part in a theatrical, television or film production.
- Communicates with colleagues and maintains accurate records.
- Supervises contact between parents and separated children.
- Organises toilet and meal stops, as appropriate.
- Supports and secures chair bound clients.
- Transports clients safely and securely between approved destinations.
Median Salary£19,814 View more
School midday and crossing patrol occupations
- Directs children to cross the road when safe.
- Signals approaching traffic to stop by using hand signals and school crossing signs.
- Waits for a safe gap in traffic and walks to the centre of road.
- Meets children wanting to cross the road and directs them to wait at the kerb.
- Assists young children with feeding, dressing, washing and toiletry activities.
- Cares for sick children and administers first aid if necessary.
- Supervises the playground activities of children during meal and break times.
Median Salary£19,294 View more
Careers Advisers and Vocational Guidance Specialists
- Monitors progress and welfare of young people in employment and advises them on any difficulties.
- Organises careers forums and exhibitions and establishes and maintains contact with local employers, colleges and training providers.
- Liaises with employers to determine employment opportunities and advises schools, colleges or individuals accordingly.
- Visits educational and other establishments to give talks and distribute information regarding careers.
- Advises on appropriate courses of study or avenues into employment.
- Uses an interview, questionnaire and/or psychological or other test to determine the aptitude, preferences and temperament of the client.