BA (Hons) Advanced Principles in Media Makeup (Top-Up)
Start Date: 9th September 2024
More about the course
Whether your dream is to work in media and theatrical makeup or you're passionate about helping those who have been affected by hair loss, our BA (Hons) Advanced Principles in Media Makeup (Top up) is ideal for you.
This degree is completely unique within the North East and will allow you to develop the skills you need to work in the industry. You will build skills in wig making and barbering for continuity, which are highly sought-after within the film and theatre industry. Wig making will provide wider opportunities for anyone seeking employment in theatrical settings as well as additional skills for those who wish to focus on helping those affected by hair loss.
The barbering module will focus on basic trimming skills as well application of hair systems for hair loss which is a lucrative and increasingly sought-after-skill. Reconstructive practices will focus on Areola restoration as well as scar camouflage and management and will enrich your existing skills in the art of Semi-permanent Makeup.
You will also gain an understanding of advanced prosthetics creation for film or theatre as well as experience real working environment in our very own salon 'The Retreat'.
Get in touch
What can I do with a qualification in Hair and Beauty
Leisure and Sports Managers
- Ensures custody of all cash receipts and organises regular stock checks.
- Recruits, supervises and trains staff.
- Determines financial, staffing, material and other short- and long-term needs.
- Advises on the facilities available and promotes publicity in relation to shows, games, races, new theme parks, etc..
- Keeps abreast of new trends and developments in recreational activities and arranges exhibitions, theatrical productions, concerts, demonstrations etc..
- Ensures that facilities are kept clean and in good condition and that appropriate health and safety requirements are adhered to.
- Organises timetable of activities/schedule of programmes.
Median Salary£31,312 View more
Hairdressing and Beauty Salon Managers and Proprietors
- Ensures financial accounts for the business are maintained.
- Demonstrates, advises on and sells hair and/or beauty products.
- Checks and maintains any equipment, and ensures that all safety requirements are met.
- Undertakes and/or directs hair treatments and/or beauty therapy.
- Ensures clients.
- Provides clients with information and advice on styles and treatments, and resolves any complaints or problems.
- Controls the allocation, training and remuneration of staff.
- Determines staffing, financial, material and other short- and long-term needs.
Median Salary£23,711 View more
Beauticians and Related Occupations
- Maintains client records, sells and advises on cosmetic products and services, and ensures appropriate health and safety issues are addressed.
- Advises clients on diet and exercise to assist in weight loss and slimming.
- Recognises problems and refers clients to medical practitioners if appropriate.
- Performs specialist treatments for conditions such as acne, applies skin rejuvenation therapies.
- Applies make-up to hide blemishes or enhance facial features and advises clients on skin care and make-up techniques.
- Cleans, shapes and polishes finger and toe nails, applies nail extensions.
- Uses waxing, threading, sugaring and other epilation techniques to remove any unwanted body hair.
- Massages scalp, face and other parts of the body and carries out spray tanning.
- Discusses clients requirements, analyses and advises client on appropriate skin care, and applies treatments to the face or body.
Median Salary£18,575 View more
Hairdressers and Barbers
- Demonstrates, sells and recommends hair care products to clients and advises them on hair care.
- Ensures hair products are stored and used appropriately and observes relevant health and safety factors.
- Maintains client records and keeps up-to-date with new products, styles and techniques.
- Collects payment, arranges appointments and cleans and tidies salon.
- Shaves and trims beards and moustaches.
- Combs, brushes, blow-dries or sets wet hair in rollers to style or straighten.
- Cuts and trims hair using scissors, clippers, razor and comb.
- Washes, conditions, bleaches, tints or dyes hair and provides any necessary basic scalp treatments.
- Discusses customer requirements, analyses hair condition and other relevant features to define and advise on hair style.