Here at Newcastle College, we teach our students how to harness the transformative power of sport. Whether that be supporting local communities, coaching elite performance athletes or helping ordinary people discover hidden strengths they never knew they had. Based in the heart of Newcastle, we offer the unrivalled opportunity to learn alongside the North East's biggest clubs, Newcastle Eagles and Newcastle United Foundation, as well as Newcastle Falcons Community Foundation.
We offer college (16-18), adult, undergraduate and postgraduate courses in Coaching and Development, Fitness and Personal Training, Physical Education and Exercise Rehabilitation. Our tutors hail from every area of elite performance. Among their ranks include an England Men’s Basketball Coach, a Commonwealth Athlete and an international futsal player. If you are passionate about sport and want to make a difference, we want you on our side. Apply for a sports course today!
What can I do with a qualification in Sport?
- Maintains patient records, manages caseloads.
- Counsels clients in ways to promote a healthy lifestyle, prevention of illness and/or preparation for coping with increasing stages of illness.
- Makes home visits to clients, families and carers to organise support and rehabilitation and assist them to deal and cope with disability.
- Trains students and supervises the work of occupational therapy assistants.
- Liaises with a wide variety of other professionals in planning and reviewing ongoing treatments.
- Devises, designs, initiates and monitors carefully selected and graded treatments and activities as part of the assessment and intervention process.
- Considers the physical, psychological and social needs of a patient that may result from illness, injury, congenital condition or lifestyle problems.
Median Salary£38,061 View more
Therapy professionals n.e.c.
- Diagnoses and treats behavioural problems in animals.
- Assesses and provides treatment for people with mental disabilities, or those suffering with mental illness, stress, and emotional and relationship problems.
- Administers aromatic herbs and oils and massage to relieve pain and restore health.
- Adopts a holistic approach in assessing the overall health of the patient, and treats by inserting needles under the skin at particular locations according to the disorder being treated.
- Manipulates and massages patient to discover the cause of pain, relieve discomfort, restore function and mobility and to correct irregularities in body structure.
- Diagnoses and treats disorders of vision and eye movements, monitors subsequent progress and recommends further optical, pharmacological or surgical treatment as required.
- Prescribes diet therapy and gives advice to patients, health care professionals and the public on dietetic and nutritional matters for those with special dietary requirements or to prevent illness amongst the general population.
Median Salary£37,682 View more
- Discusses performance problems with coaches, physiotherapists, dieticians and doctors.
- Maintains clothing and other specialised sporting equipment.
- Builds stamina, physical strength and agility through running, fitness exercises and weight training.
- Attends training sessions to develop skills and practice individual or team moves and tactics.
- Participates in exhibitions, pre-qualifying events, tournaments and competitions.
Median Salary£25,204 View more
Sports Coaches, Instructors and Officials
- Manages the playing areas and competitors, starts race, competition or match and controls its progress according to established rules.
- Inspects and maintains specialised clothing and equipment.
- Understands health and safety aspects of various activities and ensures any statutory requirements are met.
- Provides information and develops facilities to encourage greater participation in sport, and to enhance the standards of participants.
- Deals with administrative aspects such as arranging matches, contests or appearances for athlete or team, and organising required transport and accommodation.
- Monitors and analyses technique and performance, and determines how future improvements can be made.
- Controls team selection and discipline and recruits ancillary staff such as coaches or physiotherapists.
- Coaches teams or individuals by demonstrating techniques and directing training and exercise sessions.
Median Salary£25,006 View more
- Understands the health and safety aspects of different forms of exercise and ensures that any statutory requirements are met.
- Plans and monitors personal fitness schedules.
- Ensures that clients do not injure themselves through over exertion or using incorrect training techniques.
- Demonstrates and leads fitness activities and supervises exercise classes.
- Devises programmes of training appropriate to the needs of clients with varying levels of strength, fitness and ability.
- Assesses the fitness levels of clients.