Here at Newcastle College, we teach our students how to harness the transformative power of sport. Whether that be supporting local communities, coaching elite performance athletes or helping ordinary people discover hidden strengths they never knew they had. Based in the heart of Newcastle, we offer the unrivalled opportunity to learn alongside the North East's biggest clubs, Newcastle Eagles and Newcastle United Foundation, as well as Newcastle Falcons Community Foundation.
We offer college (16-18), adult, undergraduate and postgraduate courses in Coaching and Development, Fitness and Personal Training, Physical Education and Exercise Rehabilitation. Our tutors hail from every area of elite performance. Among their ranks include an England Men’s Basketball Coach, a Commonwealth Athlete and an international futsal player. If you are passionate about sport and want to make a difference, we want you on our side. Apply for a sports course today!
What can I do with a qualification in Sport?
- Discusses performance problems with coaches, physiotherapists, dieticians and doctors.
- Maintains clothing and other specialised sporting equipment.
- Builds stamina, physical strength and agility through running, fitness exercises and weight training.
- Attends training sessions to develop skills and practice individual or team moves and tactics.
- Participates in exhibitions, pre-qualifying events, tournaments and competitions.
Median Salary£25,204 View more
Sports Coaches, Instructors and Officials
- Manages the playing areas and competitors, starts race, competition or match and controls its progress according to established rules.
- Inspects and maintains specialised clothing and equipment.
- Understands health and safety aspects of various activities and ensures any statutory requirements are met.
- Provides information and develops facilities to encourage greater participation in sport, and to enhance the standards of participants.
- Deals with administrative aspects such as arranging matches, contests or appearances for athlete or team, and organising required transport and accommodation.
- Monitors and analyses technique and performance, and determines how future improvements can be made.
- Controls team selection and discipline and recruits ancillary staff such as coaches or physiotherapists.
- Coaches teams or individuals by demonstrating techniques and directing training and exercise sessions.
Median Salary£25,006 View more
- Understands the health and safety aspects of different forms of exercise and ensures that any statutory requirements are met.
- Plans and monitors personal fitness schedules.
- Ensures that clients do not injure themselves through over exertion or using incorrect training techniques.
- Demonstrates and leads fitness activities and supervises exercise classes.
- Devises programmes of training appropriate to the needs of clients with varying levels of strength, fitness and ability.
- Assesses the fitness levels of clients.