You will be based at our main Rye Hill Campus and have access to two fully equipped gyms, sports hall, sports injury clinic and fitness studio to help you develop the skills and knowledge you need to succeed in the sector.
You will benefit from our strong industry partnerships with organisations such as Newcastle United Foundation, the Newcastle Eagles and the Newcastle Falcons.
So whether you are looking to train as a performance coach, sports coach or personal trainer, you will get there with a sports course with us.
What can I study?
Do you dream of managing or owning your own gym one day? This course in Gym Instructing and Personal Training could be perfect for you and lead to a rewarding and flexible career as a Personal Trainer.
Length: 3 months
Start Date: Various
Location: Rye Hill Campus
Get In Touch
What can I do with a Sport qualification?
- Maintains patient records, manages caseloads.
- Counsels clients in ways to promote a healthy lifestyle, prevention of illness and/or preparation for coping with increasing stages of illness.
- Makes home visits to clients, families and carers to organise support and rehabilitation and assist them to deal and cope with disability.
- Trains students and supervises the work of occupational therapy assistants.
- Liaises with a wide variety of other professionals in planning and reviewing ongoing treatments.
- Devises, designs, initiates and monitors carefully selected and graded treatments and activities as part of the assessment and intervention process.
- Considers the physical, psychological and social needs of a patient that may result from illness, injury, congenital condition or lifestyle problems.
Median Salary£38,061 View more
Therapy professionals n.e.c.
- Diagnoses and treats behavioural problems in animals.
- Assesses and provides treatment for people with mental disabilities, or those suffering with mental illness, stress, and emotional and relationship problems.
- Administers aromatic herbs and oils and massage to relieve pain and restore health.
- Adopts a holistic approach in assessing the overall health of the patient, and treats by inserting needles under the skin at particular locations according to the disorder being treated.
- Manipulates and massages patient to discover the cause of pain, relieve discomfort, restore function and mobility and to correct irregularities in body structure.
- Diagnoses and treats disorders of vision and eye movements, monitors subsequent progress and recommends further optical, pharmacological or surgical treatment as required.
- Prescribes diet therapy and gives advice to patients, health care professionals and the public on dietetic and nutritional matters for those with special dietary requirements or to prevent illness amongst the general population.
Median Salary£37,682 View more
- Discusses performance problems with coaches, physiotherapists, dieticians and doctors.
- Maintains clothing and other specialised sporting equipment.
- Builds stamina, physical strength and agility through running, fitness exercises and weight training.
- Attends training sessions to develop skills and practice individual or team moves and tactics.
- Participates in exhibitions, pre-qualifying events, tournaments and competitions.
Median Salary£25,204 View more
Sports Coaches, Instructors and Officials
- Manages the playing areas and competitors, starts race, competition or match and controls its progress according to established rules.
- Inspects and maintains specialised clothing and equipment.
- Understands health and safety aspects of various activities and ensures any statutory requirements are met.
- Provides information and develops facilities to encourage greater participation in sport, and to enhance the standards of participants.
- Deals with administrative aspects such as arranging matches, contests or appearances for athlete or team, and organising required transport and accommodation.
- Monitors and analyses technique and performance, and determines how future improvements can be made.
- Controls team selection and discipline and recruits ancillary staff such as coaches or physiotherapists.
- Coaches teams or individuals by demonstrating techniques and directing training and exercise sessions.
Median Salary£25,006 View more
- Understands the health and safety aspects of different forms of exercise and ensures that any statutory requirements are met.
- Plans and monitors personal fitness schedules.
- Ensures that clients do not injure themselves through over exertion or using incorrect training techniques.
- Demonstrates and leads fitness activities and supervises exercise classes.
- Devises programmes of training appropriate to the needs of clients with varying levels of strength, fitness and ability.
- Assesses the fitness levels of clients.
Median Salary£23,391 View more
How can I progress?
Choose from over 60 degrees developed in collaboration with employers, so you'll graduate with the skills you really need to secure your dream job.
Earn while you learn with an Apprenticeship at Newcastle College.
Trying to make sense of your grades? Not sure what you can study? Read our handy 'levels explained' guide.