You will be based at our main Rye Hill Campus and have access to two fully equipped gyms, sports hall, sports injury clinic and fitness studio to help you develop the skills and knowledge you need to succeed in the sector.
You will benefit from our strong industry partnerships with organisations such as Newcastle United Foundation, the Newcastle Eagles and the Newcastle Falcons.
So whether you are looking to train as a performance coach, sports coach or personal trainer, you will get there with a sports course with us.
What can I study?
Combining sport and exercise science, with psychology, sports coaching and fitness, this course covers a range of areas in the fitness industry.
Length: 1 year
Start date: 9th September 2024
Location: Rye Hill Campus
Get In Touch
What can I do with a Sport qualification?
- Discusses performance problems with coaches, physiotherapists, dieticians and doctors.
- Maintains clothing and other specialised sporting equipment.
- Builds stamina, physical strength and agility through running, fitness exercises and weight training.
- Attends training sessions to develop skills and practice individual or team moves and tactics.
- Participates in exhibitions, pre-qualifying events, tournaments and competitions.
Median Salary£25,204 View more
Sports Coaches, Instructors and Officials
- Manages the playing areas and competitors, starts race, competition or match and controls its progress according to established rules.
- Inspects and maintains specialised clothing and equipment.
- Understands health and safety aspects of various activities and ensures any statutory requirements are met.
- Provides information and develops facilities to encourage greater participation in sport, and to enhance the standards of participants.
- Deals with administrative aspects such as arranging matches, contests or appearances for athlete or team, and organising required transport and accommodation.
- Monitors and analyses technique and performance, and determines how future improvements can be made.
- Controls team selection and discipline and recruits ancillary staff such as coaches or physiotherapists.
- Coaches teams or individuals by demonstrating techniques and directing training and exercise sessions.
Median Salary£25,006 View more
- Understands the health and safety aspects of different forms of exercise and ensures that any statutory requirements are met.
- Plans and monitors personal fitness schedules.
- Ensures that clients do not injure themselves through over exertion or using incorrect training techniques.
- Demonstrates and leads fitness activities and supervises exercise classes.
- Devises programmes of training appropriate to the needs of clients with varying levels of strength, fitness and ability.
- Assesses the fitness levels of clients.
Median Salary£23,391 View more
How can I progress?
Choose from over 60 degrees developed in collaboration with employers, so you'll graduate with the skills you really need to secure your dream job.
Earn while you learn with an apprenticeship at Newcastle College.
Trying to make sense of your grades? Not sure what you can study? Read our handy 'levels explained' guide.