What can I do with a qualification in Science?
- Provides professional guidance to clients, government agencies, regulators and other relevant bodies, having regard for sustainable approaches and solutions.
- Implements, reviews and advises on regulatory and legislative standards, guidelines and policies.
- Assists organisations to conduct their activities in an environmentally appropriate manner.
- Communicates scientific and technical information to relevant audiences in an appropriate form, via reports, workshops, educational events, public hearings.
- Carries out environmental audits and environmental impact assessments.
- Carries out environment-related desk-based research and fieldwork to collect, analyse and interpret data to determine their validity, quality and significance.
- Implements remediation works.
- Advises on and provides solutions for mitigating the effects of such contamination.
- Identifies contamination of land, air or water and assesses any adverse impact on the environment.
Median Salary£38,041 View more
- Develops procedures for quality control of manufactured products.
- Tests techniques and processes for reliability under a variety of conditions.
- Analyses results and experimental data.
- Conducts experiments to identify chemical composition, energy and chemical changes in natural substances and processed materials.
- Develops experimental procedures, instruments and recording and testing systems.
Median Salary£35,281 View more
Science, engineering and production technicians n.e.c.
Biological Scientists and Biochemists
- Monitors the distribution, presence and behaviour of plants, animals and aquatic life, and performs other scientific tasks related to conservation not performed by jobholders in MINOR GROUP 214: Conservation and Environment Professionals.
- Advises farmers, medical staff and others, on the nature of field crops, livestock and produce and on the treatment and prevention of disease.
- Observes the structure of communities of organisms in the laboratory and in their natural environment.
- Researches the effects of internal and external environmental factors on the life processes and other functions of living organisms.
- Performs tests to study physiological and pathological characteristics within cells and other organisms.
- Identifies and studies the chemical substances, including microbial infections, involved in physiological processes and the progress of disease.
- Studies the physical and chemical form, structure, composition and function of living organisms.
Median Salary£40,916 View more
- Applies mathematical models and techniques to assist in the solution of scientific problems in industry and commerce and seeks out new applications of mathematical analysis.
- Observes, records and collates data on atmospheric conditions from weather stations, satellites, and observation vessels to plot and forecast weather conditions.
- Uses surveys, seismology and other methods to determine the earth.
- Conducts experiments and tests and uses mathematical models and theories to investigate the structure and properties of matter, transformations and propagations of energy, the behaviour of particles and their interaction with various forms of energy.
Median Salary£46,453 View more
Social and Humanities Scientists
- Addresses conferences and publishes articles detailing the methodology and results of research undertaken.
- Undertakes analyses of data, presents results of research to sponsors, the media and other interested organisations.
- Administers questionnaires, carries out interviews, organises focus groups and implements other social research tools.
- Identifies, compiles and analyses economic, demographic, legal, political, social and other data to address research objectives.
- Traces the evolution of word and language forms, compares grammatical structures and analyses the relationships between ancient, parent and modern languages.
- Undertakes research across the humanities that furthers understanding of human culture and creativity.
- Studies society and the manner in which people behave and impact upon the world.
Median Salary£34,185 View more
Natural and Social Science Professionals n.e.c.
- Writes journal articles, books, and addresses conferences, seminars and the media to reveal research findings.
- Advises government, private organisations and special interest groups on policy issues.
- Compiles and analyses quantitative and qualitative data, prepares reports and presents results to summarise main findings and conclusions.
- Designs and develops an appropriate research methodology in order to address the research objective.
- Presents results of scientific research to sponsors, addresses conferences and publishes articles outlining the methodology and results of research undertaken.
- Analyses results and writes up results of tests and experiments undertaken.
- Applies models and techniques to medical, industrial, agricultural, military and similar applications.
- Designs tests and experiments to address research objective and find solutions.
- Provides technical advisory and consulting services.
- Plans, directs and undertakes research into natural phenomena.
Median Salary£41,626 View more
- Records and collates data obtained from experimental work and documents all work carried out.
- Operates and services specialised scientific equipment, undertakes prescribed measurements and analyses and ensures that sterile conditions necessary for some equipment are maintained.
- Grows cultures of bacteria and viruses, prepares tissue sections and other organic and inorganic material for examination and stains and fixes slides for microscope work.
- Prepares and analyses body fluids, secretions and/or tissue to detect infections or to examine the effects of different drugs.
- Sets up and assists with the construction and the development of scientific apparatus for experimental, demonstration or other purposes.
Median Salary£23,297 View more
Research and Development Managers
- Monitors the standards of scientific and technical research undertaken by the research team.
- Plans work schedules, assigns tasks and delegates responsibilities to the research and development team.
- Develops research methodology, implements and reports upon research investigations undertaken.
- Liaises with production departments to investigate and resolve manufacturing problems.
- Establishes product design and performance objectives in consultation with other business functions.
Median Salary£51,905 View more
- Carries out research into aspects of the natural world.
- Prepares applications for funding to other organisations, and assessing applications for funding from other organisations.
- Promotes conservation issues via educational talks, displays, workshops and literature and liaison with the media.
- Maintains and develops knowledge in relevant policy areas within a national and European legislative context.
- Liaises with other groups in the selection and maintenance of the Protected Site System including Special Areas of Conservation (SACs), Ramsar sites, and Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSIs) and National Nature Reserves (NNRs).
- Provides advice and information to government at national and local levels, clients, landowners, planners and developers to facilitate the protection of the natural environment.
- Implements, evaluates and monitors schemes for the management and protection of natural habitats.
- Carries out environmental impact assessments and field surveys.
- Promotes and implements local and national biodiversity action plans, particularly with regard to threatened species and habitats.