Motor Vehicle Service and Maintenance Technician (Light Vehicle) Apprenticeship
Start Date: Various
More about the course
Looking for a way to earn as you learn whilst also gaining skills in automotive principles?
A Motor Vehicle Technician services and repairs light vehicles such as cars and vans, and works either in dealerships that focus on a particular manufacturer, or for an independent garage that deals with many different makes of vehicles.
You will have an interest in motor vehicles, as well as a capacity for mechanical reasoning and good spatial awareness. You’ll be taught by industry-experienced tutors to get you ready for the fast paced world of work in Automotive.
Motor Vehicle Technician apprenticeships concentrate on carrying out procedures to set up a component (e.g. clutch, height adjustment), the use of wide range of diagnostic and testing equipment, ability to remove and fit timing belts, connectors, tyres and handling fluids and removing hoses, belts, gaskets, bearings and other vehicle parts. This apprenticeship also covers hybrid/electrical vehicle operation and you will also receive a Fgas Air Conditioning Refrigerant handling certificate at the end of the course.
Get in touch
What can I do with a qualification in Automotive
Vehicle technicians, mechanics and electricians
- Repairs and services air conditioning, heating and engine-cooling systems.
- Installs additional electrical amenities such as radio/CD players, aerials.
- Checks condition of electrical/electronic systems and carries out servicing tasks.
- Diagnoses faults in electrical/electronic circuitry, removes faulty components and fits replacements.
- Carries out routine maintenance checks on oil and air filters, brakes and other vehicle parts/systems.
- Reassembles, tests, adjusts and tunes the appropriate parts, systems or entire engine.
- Removes, dismantles, repairs and replaces defective parts and prepares new parts using appropriate tools.
- Visually checks, test drives or uses test equipment to diagnose engine and mechanical faults.
Median Salary£25,953 View more
Powered by EMSI
Vehicle and Parts Salespersons and Advisers
- Orders new supplies, arranges storage and updates stock records.
- Organises delivery of parts and handles payment.
- Obtains parts from store or orders from suppliers.
- Receives orders for parts by phone, email or in person and checks availability on stock record.
- Updates stock record, orders new vehicles from manufacturer, buys in used cars.
- Carries out pre-delivery inspection and formal hand-over of vehicle to customer.
- Negotiates sale price including any ‘trade-in’ and extra accessories, works out finance arrangements and completes sales paperwork.
- Discusses customer.