Driven by a passion to make things better, Science at Newcastle College offers a multidisciplinary experience for students who want to specialise in applied sciences, bio-chemistry, forensics or psychology. We deliver courses for all ages, with college (16-18), adult, undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
Our state-of-the-art laboratories and facilities are the perfect place to turn your curiosity into discovery. Client-led opportunities offer an excellent way to gain hands-on experience. We have worked with the likes of Akzo Nobel, CPI, Nestlé, Quantum, Suez, Sterling and Parker Hannifin. Browse our courses now if you want to see where a career in science could take you.
What can I do with a qualification in Science?
- Develops procedures for quality control of manufactured products.
- Tests techniques and processes for reliability under a variety of conditions.
- Analyses results and experimental data.
- Conducts experiments to identify chemical composition, energy and chemical changes in natural substances and processed materials.
- Develops experimental procedures, instruments and recording and testing systems.
Median Salary£35,281 View more
Research and Development Managers
- Monitors the standards of scientific and technical research undertaken by the research team.
- Plans work schedules, assigns tasks and delegates responsibilities to the research and development team.
- Develops research methodology, implements and reports upon research investigations undertaken.
- Liaises with production departments to investigate and resolve manufacturing problems.
- Establishes product design and performance objectives in consultation with other business functions.
Median Salary£51,905 View more
- Records and collates data obtained from experimental work and documents all work carried out.
- Operates and services specialised scientific equipment, undertakes prescribed measurements and analyses and ensures that sterile conditions necessary for some equipment are maintained.
- Grows cultures of bacteria and viruses, prepares tissue sections and other organic and inorganic material for examination and stains and fixes slides for microscope work.
- Prepares and analyses body fluids, secretions and/or tissue to detect infections or to examine the effects of different drugs.
- Sets up and assists with the construction and the development of scientific apparatus for experimental, demonstration or other purposes.
Median Salary£23,297 View more
Medical and Dental Technicians
- Takes samples for clinical examination.
- Performs related medical tasks including treating hair and scalp disorders and conducting tests on glaucoma patients.
- Measures patients for, and fits them with, surgical appliances, hearing aids and artificial limbs.
- Makes dentures, crowns, bridges, orthodontic and other dental appliances according to individual patient requirements.
- Undertakes scaling and polishing of teeth, applies medicaments, carries out post-operative hygiene work and advises on preventative dentistry.
- Operates equipment to diagnose and record or treat hearing, heart, brain, lung and kidney ailments.