Driven by a passion to make things better, Science at Newcastle College offers a multidisciplinary experience for students who want to specialise in applied sciences, bio-chemistry, forensics or psychology. We deliver courses for all ages, with college (16-18), adult, undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
Our state-of-the-art laboratories and facilities are the perfect place to turn your curiosity into discovery. Client-led opportunities offer an excellent way to gain hands-on experience. We have worked with the likes of Akzo Nobel, CPI, Nestlé, Quantum, Suez, Sterling and Parker Hannifin. Browse our courses now if you want to see where a career in science could take you.
Science at Newcastle College
What can I do with a qualification in Science?
- Develops procedures for quality control of manufactured products.
- Tests techniques and processes for reliability under a variety of conditions.
- Analyses results and experimental data.
- Conducts experiments to identify chemical composition, energy and chemical changes in natural substances and processed materials.
- Develops experimental procedures, instruments and recording and testing systems.
Median Salary£35,281 View more
- Monitors the distribution, presence and behaviour of plants, animals and aquatic life, and performs other scientific tasks related to conservation not performed by jobholders in MINOR GROUP 214: Conservation and Environment Professionals.
- Advises farmers, medical staff and others, on the nature of field crops, livestock and produce and on the treatment and prevention of disease.
- Observes the structure of communities of organisms in the laboratory and in their natural environment.
- Researches the effects of internal and external environmental factors on the life processes and other functions of living organisms.
- Performs tests to study physiological and pathological characteristics within cells and other organisms.
- Identifies and studies the chemical substances, including microbial infections, involved in physiological processes and the progress of disease.
- Studies the physical and chemical form, structure, composition and function of living organisms.
Median Salary£40,916 View more
- Applies mathematical models and techniques to assist in the solution of scientific problems in industry and commerce and seeks out new applications of mathematical analysis.
- Observes, records and collates data on atmospheric conditions from weather stations, satellites, and observation vessels to plot and forecast weather conditions.
- Uses surveys, seismology and other methods to determine the earth.
- Conducts experiments and tests and uses mathematical models and theories to investigate the structure and properties of matter, transformations and propagations of energy, the behaviour of particles and their interaction with various forms of energy.
Median Salary£46,453 View more
- Carries out research into aspects of the natural world.
- Prepares applications for funding to other organisations, and assessing applications for funding from other organisations.
- Promotes conservation issues via educational talks, displays, workshops and literature and liaison with the media.
- Maintains and develops knowledge in relevant policy areas within a national and European legislative context.
- Liaises with other groups in the selection and maintenance of the Protected Site System including Special Areas of Conservation (SACs), Ramsar sites, and Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSIs) and National Nature Reserves (NNRs).
- Provides advice and information to government at national and local levels, clients, landowners, planners and developers to facilitate the protection of the natural environment.
- Implements, evaluates and monitors schemes for the management and protection of natural habitats.
- Carries out environmental impact assessments and field surveys.
- Promotes and implements local and national biodiversity action plans, particularly with regard to threatened species and habitats.
Median Salary£34,029 View more
- Provides professional guidance to clients, government agencies, regulators and other relevant bodies, having regard for sustainable approaches and solutions.
- Implements, reviews and advises on regulatory and legislative standards, guidelines and policies.
- Assists organisations to conduct their activities in an environmentally appropriate manner.
- Communicates scientific and technical information to relevant audiences in an appropriate form, via reports, workshops, educational events, public hearings.
- Carries out environmental audits and environmental impact assessments.
- Carries out environment-related desk-based research and fieldwork to collect, analyse and interpret data to determine their validity, quality and significance.
- Implements remediation works.
- Advises on and provides solutions for mitigating the effects of such contamination.
- Identifies contamination of land, air or water and assesses any adverse impact on the environment.
Median Salary£38,041 View more
- Monitors the standards of scientific and technical research undertaken by the research team.
- Plans work schedules, assigns tasks and delegates responsibilities to the research and development team.
- Develops research methodology, implements and reports upon research investigations undertaken.
- Liaises with production departments to investigate and resolve manufacturing problems.
- Establishes product design and performance objectives in consultation with other business functions.
Median Salary£51,905 View more
- Supervises the implementation of care and treatment plans by other healthcare providers.
- Prepares and delivers lectures, undertakes research, and conducts and participates in clinical trials.
- Refers patient to specialist where necessary and liaises with specialist.
- Supervises patient.
- Administers medical tests and inoculations against communicable diseases.
- Diagnoses condition and prescribes and/or administers appropriate treatment/surgery.
- Examines patient, arranges for any necessary x-rays or other tests and interprets results.
Median Salary£67,254 View more
- Takes samples for clinical examination.
- Performs related medical tasks including treating hair and scalp disorders and conducting tests on glaucoma patients.
- Measures patients for, and fits them with, surgical appliances, hearing aids and artificial limbs.
- Makes dentures, crowns, bridges, orthodontic and other dental appliances according to individual patient requirements.
- Undertakes scaling and polishing of teeth, applies medicaments, carries out post-operative hygiene work and advises on preventative dentistry.
- Operates equipment to diagnose and record or treat hearing, heart, brain, lung and kidney ailments.
Median Salary£30,753 View more
- Withdraws samples for quality control testing, removes and regulates discharge of batch material upon completion of processing.
- Cuts and trims skins, hides and pelts, removes wool, hair, flesh and other waste material, and washes, limes, tans, dyes and otherwise treats hides for making into leather, skin and fur products.
- Operates machines to coat film and tape with sensitising material and otherwise impregnate materials by immersion, split and mould mica and produce asbestos pipes and sheets.
- Operates kilns, furnaces and ovens to produce charcoal, coke and other carbon products.
- Regulates input of polymer into melting unit, extrudes polymer, gathers extruded filaments and feeds strands through rolling, cutting and treatment units to produce synthetic fibre.
- Prepares dye, bleaching, water repellent, fixing salt and other chemical solutions to finish and treat textiles.
- Loads prescribed quantities of ingredients into plant equipment, starts operational cycle, monitors instruments and gauges indicating conditions affecting the peration of the plant and adjusts controls as necessary.
Median Salary£29,190 View more
- Applies psychological treatment methods to help athletes achieve optimum mental health and enhance sporting performance.
- Applies professional knowledge and techniques within the workplace, addressing issues such as job design, work groups, motivation etc..
- Maintains required contacts with family members, education or other health professionals, as appropriate, and recommends possible solutions to problems presented.
- Studies psychological factors in the treatment and prevention of mental illness or emotional and personality disorders.
- Analyses the effect of hereditary, social and physical factors on thought and behaviour.
- Observes and experiments on humans and animals to measure mental and physical characteristics.
- Develops treatment and guidance methods and gives treatment or guidance using a variety of therapy and counselling techniques.
- Develops and administers tests to measure intelligence, abilities, aptitudes, etc. and assesses results.
Median Salary£50,614 View more
Meet our students and tutors
Ivana OdoboLevel 3 Science
"I came to the UK a year ago from Italy. The teaching here is very different, here the teaching environment is more comfortable and teachers are very approachable. I have made a lot of friends not just in my class but across the college."
Get In Touch
do you want to...
Unlock the potential of your workforce?
Understand more about apprenticeships?
Find out about events and bespoke training solutions?