The department of Childcare has a long history of providing high quality training in the fields of early years and childhood studies. We explore the different methods and techniques used to make a positive impact on the growth and development of young people. We offer a number of pathways into the sector through flexible training including full-time, part-time, 16-18, adults, undergraduate and online learning courses.
Many of our students have gone on to careers working in youth social work, teaching and early years development. We work with employers to ensure our students gain experience of work and enhanced career prospects. We deliver training within our multi-million pound facility which houses three simulation nurseries, lecture theatres and fully equipped classroom environments. If you are a compassionate person who wants to inspire the next generation, we have a place for you!
What can I do with a qualification in Childcare?
- Liaises with parents, carers and colleagues and keeps appropriate records.
- Puts away equipment and cleans premises after use.
- Organises and supervises children.
- Organises and supervises children on excursions.
- Encourages children.
- Provides play areas and prepares materials for a wide range of children.
- Supervises children.
Median Salary£18,795 View more
- Helps with outings and other out-of-classroom activities.
- Makes simple teaching aids and constructs thematic displays of educational material or children.
- Assists children with washing or dressing for outdoor and similar activities.
- Listens to children read, reads to them or tells stories.
- Looks after lesson materials such as paper, pencils and crayons.
- Assists teacher with preparation or clearing up of classroom.
Median Salary£20,696 View more
Careers Advisers and Vocational Guidance Specialists
- Monitors progress and welfare of young people in employment and advises them on any difficulties.
- Organises careers forums and exhibitions and establishes and maintains contact with local employers, colleges and training providers.
- Liaises with employers to determine employment opportunities and advises schools, colleges or individuals accordingly.
- Visits educational and other establishments to give talks and distribute information regarding careers.
- Advises on appropriate courses of study or avenues into employment.
- Uses an interview, questionnaire and/or psychological or other test to determine the aptitude, preferences and temperament of the client.