Welding trades workers join metal parts by welding, brazing and soldering, and cut and remove defects from metal using a variety of equipment and techniques.
New workers start around £19,903. Normal pay is £26,022 per year. Highly experienced workers can earn up to £37,055.
- Checks finished workpiece for defects and conformity with specification.
- Cleans and smoothes weld.
- Guides electrode or torch along line of weld, burns away damaged areas, and melts brazing alloy or solder into joints.
- Cuts metal pieces using gas torch or electric arc.
- Connects wires to power supply, or hoses to oxygen, acetylene, argon, carbon dioxide, electric arc, or other source and adjusts controls to regulate gas pressure and rate of flow.
- Selects appropriate welding equipment such as electric arc, gas torch, etc..
Skills employers are asking for
- Reading Comprehension
- Learning Strategies
- Critical Thinking
- Active Listening
- Active Learning
General Welder Apprenticeship
If you’re looking to earn while you learn, becoming a General Welder apprentice will set you up for an exciting career in industry.
Length: 2 years
Start date: 5th September 2022
Location: Employer Based