Information Technology - Level 3
Start Date: 4th September 2023
More about the course
Write your own future and prepare for a career in digital with this IT course.
You will learn how to use a range of hardware and programming software including NetBeans and Java. Build your skills in databases and spreadsheets, web design, network management, social media, programming, building networks and systems and cloud computing.
On this course you will be able to specialise in Software Development or Cyber Security.
Benefit from strong links to local digital employers including Accenture and Tombola, with an opportunity to undertake a work placement with one of them.
You will also have opportunities to get involved with charitable and social action projects and explore degree level study during your course.
Get In Touch
What can I do with a qualification in Computing?
Marketing and sales directors
- Produces and/or assesses reports and recommendations concerning marketing and sales strategies.
- Controls the recruitment and training of staff.
- Examines and analyses sales figures, advises on and monitors marketing campaigns and promotional activities.
- Discusses employer.
- Liaises with other senior staff to determine the range of goods or services to be sold.
Median Salary£78,034 View more
Advertising and public relations directors
- Directs the arranging of conferences, exhibitions, seminars, etc. to promote the image of a product, service or organisation.
- Stays abreast of changes in media, readership or viewing figures and advertising rates.
- Reviews and revises campaign strategy in light of sales figures, surveys, etc. and takes appropriate corrective measures if necessary.
- Conceives advertising campaign to impart the desired product image in an effective and economical way.
- Defines target group and implements strategy through appropriate media planning work.
- Liaises with client to discuss product/service to be marketed and develops the most appropriate strategy to deliver the objectives.
Median Salary£59,250 View more
Information technology and telecommunications directors
- Ensures that new technologies are researched and evaluated in the light of the organisation.
- Prioritises and schedules major IT/telecommunications projects.
- Considers the required IT/telecommunications staffing levels, oversees recruitment and appointment of staff and directs training policy.
- Develops the periodic business plan and operational budget for IT/telecommunications to deliver agreed service levels.
- Directs the implementation within the organisation of IT/telecommunications strategy, infrastructure, procurement, procedures and standards.
- Develops in consultation with other senior management the IT/telecommunications strategy of the organisation.
Median Salary£73,040 View more
IT specialist managers
- Reports on IT activities to senior management.
- Plans and monitors work and maintenance schedules to ensure agreed service levels are achieved.
- Supervises the technical team and coordinates training.
- Takes responsibility for managing the development of a specialist aspect of IT provision such as user support, network operations, service delivery or quality control.
- Liaises with users, senior staff and internal/external clients to clarify IT requirements and development needs.
- Plans, coordinates and manages the organisation.
Median Salary£51,052 View more
IT project and programme managers
- Reports on project or programme to senior management and/or client.
- Coordinates and oversees implementation of the project or programme.
- Monitors progress including project/programme budget, timescale and quality.
- Manages third party contributions to the programme or project.
- Coordinates and supervises the activities of the project/programme team.
- Plans the stages of the project or programme, reviews actions and amends plans as necessary.
- Works with client or senior management to establish and clarify the aims, objectives and requirements of the IT project or programme.
Median Salary£55,325 View more
IT business analysts, architects and systems designers
- Works closely with clients to implement new systems.
- Researches, analyses, evaluates and monitors network infrastructure and performance.
- Examines existing business models and flows of data and designs functional specifications and test plans for new systems in order to meet clients.
- Provides advice and assistance in the procurement, provision, delivery, installation, maintenance and use of IT systems and their environments.
- Communicates the impact of emerging technologies to clients and advises upon the potential introduction of such technology.
- Undertakes feasibility studies for major IT developments incorporating costs and benefits, and presents proposals to clients.
- Liaises with internal/external clients in order to analyse business procedure, clarify clients.
Median Salary£51,780 View more
Programmers and software development professionals
- Writes operational documentation and provides subsequent support and training for users.
- Plans and maintains database structures.
- Implements and evaluates the software.
- Writes code for specialist programming for computer games, (for example, artificial intelligence, 3D engine development).
- Tests and corrects software programs.
- Develops user interfaces.
- Writes and codes individual programs according to specifications.
- Undertakes feasibility study to design software solutions.
- Examines existing software and determines requirements for new/modified systems in the light of business needs.
Median Salary£46,711 View more
Web design and development professionals
- Activates the 'live' website.
- Tests website interaction and performance prior to going 'live'.
- Writes and publishes content for the website.
- Establishes methods to ensure appropriate website security and recovery.
- Designs and develops web interfaces for relational database systems.
- Develops the website and applications.
- Designs web pages including graphics, animation and functionality to maximise visual effectiveness and facilitate appropriate access.
- Presents design options to the client.
- Liaises with internal/external client in order to define the requirements for the website.
Median Salary£33,689 View more
Information technology and telecommunications professionals n.e.c.
- Deals with and reports on breaches in security.
- Examines IT system for potential threats to its security and integrity and draws up plans for disaster recovery if security is compromised.
- Makes recommendations concerning software/system quality.
- Develops quality standards and validation techniques.
- Develops, implements and documents test plans for IT software, systems and computer games.
- Undertakes the testing of software, systems or computer games for errors, identifies source of problems and proposes solutions.
Median Salary£42,266 View more
Public relations professionals
- Develops and implements tools to monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of public relations exercises.
- Addresses individuals, clients and other target groups through meetings, presentations, the media and other events to enhance the public image of an organisation.
- Writes, edits and arranges for the effective distribution of press releases, newsletters and other public relations material.
- Discusses issues of business strategy, products, services and target client base with senior colleagues to identify public relations requirements.