Telecommunications engineers install, maintain and repair public and private telephone systems and maintain, test and repair telecommunications cables.
New workers start around £22,273. Normal pay is £33,573 per year. Highly experienced workers can earn up to £44,646.
- Erects and maintains mobile telecommunications infrastructure.
- Locates and repairs faults to lines and ancillary equipment.
- Connects cables and tests for any defects.
- Assists with the erection of wooden poles or steel towers to carry overhead lines.
- Tests installation and makes any further necessary adjustments.
- Uses testing equipment to locate defective components of circuitry and makes any necessary repairs.
- Installs telephones, switchboards and coin operated phone boxes.
- Fixes connecting wires from underground and aerial lines to premises and connects cable terminals to inside wiring.
- Installs internal cabling and wiring for telephone systems and fits and wires junction and distribution boxes.
Skills employers are asking for
- Critical Thinking
- Active Learning
- Reading Comprehension
- Learning Strategies
- Active Listening