Chefs plan menus and prepare, or oversee the preparation of food in hotels, restaurants, clubs, private households and other establishments.
New workers start around £16,974. Normal pay is £20,085 per year. Highly experienced workers can earn up to £28,953.
- Plans and co-ordinates kitchen work such as fetching, clearing and cleaning of equipment and utensils.
- Ensures relevant hygiene and health and safety standards are maintained within the kitchen.
- Supervises, organises and instructs kitchen staff and manages the whole kitchen or an area of the kitchen.
- Plans menus, prepares, seasons and cooks foodstuffs or oversees their preparation and monitors the quality of finished dishes.
- Requisitions or purchases and examines foodstuffs from suppliers to ensure quality.
Skills employers are asking for
- Critical Thinking
- Active Learning
- Learning Strategies
- Active Listening
- Reading Comprehension