Job holders in this unit group upholster vehicle, aircraft and other seating, fix trimmings to the interiors of vehicles and aircraft, upholster furniture such as chairs and sofas, and make mattresses, curtains and other soft furnishings.
New workers start around £19,388. Normal pay is £24,787 per year. Highly experienced workers can earn up to £37,420.
- Measures, cuts, pins, sews and trims fabrics to make curtains, cushions, loose covers and similar soft furnishings.
- Replaces covering, padding, webbing or springs to repair upholstered furniture.
- Encases bed springs and padding with selected covering material by hand or machine stitching and fits castors where required.
- Operates machine to compress padded spring assemblies and inserts them into mattress covers.
- Pins sections of coverings together, joins by sewing and inserts trims, braids and buttons as required and fits upholstery unit to frame.
- Pads springs and secures padding by stitching, stapling, tacking, etc..
- Tacks and staples or otherwise secures webbing to furniture frame.
- Measures frame to be covered or examines drawings or other specifications and cuts material with shears, knife or scissors.
Skills employers are asking for
- Active Learning
- Learning Strategies
- Critical Thinking
- Active Listening
- Reading Comprehension