Government support

Government Maintenance Loan

As a full-time undergraduate student you’re able to apply for a Government Maintenance Loan to help with the costs of studying full-time. This loan is to help you with your living costs such as food, accommodation and travel.

Part-time students can also apply for the Maintenance Loan. To qualify you must be studying a three-year Honours Degree (Foundation Degrees, HNCs and HNDs are not eligible). 

The amount you can borrow depends on where you live and study and your household income. The maximum Government Maintenance Loan that will be available to you if you live at home will be up to £7,529 and up to £8,944 if you live away from home.

Your Maintenance Loan will be paid directly into your bank account at the start of each term.

Applying for a Government Maintenance Loan

You can apply by registering your details at or you can apply for it on your UCAS application form.

To find out more about the financial support please contact us via email or telephone 0191 200 4000 and a member of the team will be able to help.