Health and Care - Level 2 Diploma
Start Date: 4th September 2023
More about the course
Are you interested in supporting individuals with their physical and emotional care? Would you like to learn about dementia awareness, mental health and well-being and how to support people with their daily living needs? Then this course is for you!
You will learn the knowledge and skills required to work in a range of clinical healthcare support settings and in adult care environments, practicing your skills in our "Oaklands Care Home" simulation suite.
There are hundreds of diverse roles available within the care industry, making this a secure and fulfilling career choice and the content of this course is aligned with the knowledge and skills required for the Adult Care Worker and Healthcare Support Worker apprenticeship standards from a variety of areas to tailor the qualification to your needs, interests and to reflect the context of your work.
Get in touch
What can I do with a qualification in Health and Care
- Maintains patient records, manages caseloads.
- Counsels clients in ways to promote a healthy lifestyle, prevention of illness and/or preparation for coping with increasing stages of illness.
- Makes home visits to clients, families and carers to organise support and rehabilitation and assist them to deal and cope with disability.
- Trains students and supervises the work of occupational therapy assistants.
- Liaises with a wide variety of other professionals in planning and reviewing ongoing treatments.
- Devises, designs, initiates and monitors carefully selected and graded treatments and activities as part of the assessment and intervention process.
- Considers the physical, psychological and social needs of a patient that may result from illness, injury, congenital condition or lifestyle problems.
Median Salary£38,061 View more
Speech and language therapists
- Writes reports and maintains client caseloads.
- Counsels relatives to help cope with the problems created by a patient.
- Attends case conferences and liaises with other specialists such as doctors, teachers, social workers and psychologists.
- Treats speech and language disorders by coaching and counselling clients or through the use of artificial communication devices.
- Designs and initiates appropriate rehabilitation and/or remedial programmes of treatment.
- Assesses, tests and diagnoses a client.
Median Salary£35,668 View more
Therapy professionals n.e.c.
- Diagnoses and treats behavioural problems in animals.
- Assesses and provides treatment for people with mental disabilities, or those suffering with mental illness, stress, and emotional and relationship problems.
- Administers aromatic herbs and oils and massage to relieve pain and restore health.
- Adopts a holistic approach in assessing the overall health of the patient, and treats by inserting needles under the skin at particular locations according to the disorder being treated.
- Manipulates and massages patient to discover the cause of pain, relieve discomfort, restore function and mobility and to correct irregularities in body structure.
- Diagnoses and treats disorders of vision and eye movements, monitors subsequent progress and recommends further optical, pharmacological or surgical treatment as required.
- Prescribes diet therapy and gives advice to patients, health care professionals and the public on dietetic and nutritional matters for those with special dietary requirements or to prevent illness amongst the general population.
Median Salary£37,682 View more
Special needs education teaching professionals
- Discusses student.
- Updates and maintains students.
- Liaises with other professionals, such as social workers, speech and language therapists and educational psychologists.
- Supervises students in classroom and maintains discipline.
- Prepares, assigns and corrects exercises to record and evaluate students progress.
- Encourages the student to develop self-help skills to circumvent the limitations imposed by their disability.
- Develops and adapts conventional teaching methods to meet the individual student.
- Gives instruction, using techniques appropriate to the student.
- Assesses student.
- Creates a safe, stimulating and supportive learning environment for students.
Median Salary£43,982 View more
Educational support assistants
- Provides feedback to teachers and completes and maintains records.
- Attends to child.
- Helps and encourages child to communicate.
- Implements care programmes, as appropriate.
- Identifies signs of distress and offers reassurance.
- Helps child understand instruction through a variety of means and encourages self-confidence and independence.
- Supports schoolwork under teacher.
Median Salary£20,536 View more
Houseparents and residential wardens
- Keeps records and writes reports.
- Maintains contact and discusses problems/progress with other staff and social workers.
- Establishes and maintains contact with members of the neighbouring community and/or the residents.
- Provides one-to-one counselling or group therapy.
- Ensures that all material needs of residents are provided and endeavours to resolve any problems that they may have.
- Plans and participates in games and leisure activities to encourage emotional, social, physical and intellectual development.
- Creates friendly, secure atmosphere and tries to gain the trust and confidence of those in the home or under supervision.
Median Salary£24,195 View more
- Supervises and accompanies children who are taking part in a theatrical, television or film production.
- Communicates with colleagues and maintains accurate records.
- Supervises contact between parents and separated children.
- Organises toilet and meal stops, as appropriate.
- Supports and secures chair bound clients.
- Transports clients safely and securely between approved destinations.
Median Salary£19,814 View more
- Delivers lectures and other forms of formal training relating to nursing practice.
- Plans, manages, provides and evaluates nursing care services for patients, supervises the implementation of nursing care plans.
- Advises on nursing care, disease prevention, nutrition, etc. and liaises with hospital board/ management on issues concerning nursing policy.
- Plans duty rotas and organises and directs the work and training of ward and theatre nursing staff.
- Participates in the preparation for physical and psychological treatment of mentally ill patients.
- Monitors patient.
- Manages own case load.
- Assists medical doctors and works with other healthcare professionals to deal with emergencies and pre-planned treatment of patients.
Median Salary£37,835 View more
- Participates in training and supervision.
- Gives evidence in court.
- Keeps case records, prepares reports and participates in team meetings.
- Organises support and develops care plans to address service users.
- Arranges for further counselling or assistance in the form of financial or material help.
- Undertakes and writes up assessments to specified standards.
- Interviews individuals and groups to assess and review the nature and extent of difficulties.
- Liaises with other health and social care professionals and agencies to identify those in need and at risk within the local community.
Median Salary£39,848 View more
- Briefs other medical staff when handing over the patient, and completes patient report forms describing the patient.
- Transports and accompanies patients who either require or potentially require skilled treatment whilst travelling.
- Resuscitates and/or stabilises patient using relevant techniques, equipment and drugs.
- Assesses the nature of injuries, provides first aid treatment and ascertains appropriate method of conveying patient.
- Drives ambulance or accompanies driver to respond to calls for assistance at accidents, emergencies and other incidents.