Media Make-Up - Level 3
Start Date: 5th September 2022
More about the course
Are you creative and artistic? Do you love to express yourself through make-up and want to advance your skills for a successful career?
This Media Make-up course will give you the chance to develop advanced creative, technical and practical skills in creative make-up and hair artistry.
You will hone your skills and knowledge in advanced media make-up techniques including prosthetics, photographic make-up, media hair design, cosmetic camouflage make-up and body art.
You will also study cosmetic treatments such as lashes, brows and tanning and have the opportunity to obtain additional certificates.
Alongside your studies, you will undertake an industry placement and benefit from local masterclasses. You may also have the chance to visit exciting destinations like Make Up Forever in Paris.
A relevant Level 2 qualification, such as make-up
- GCSEs at grade 3/D in maths and English
If English is not your first language you will need an IELTS score of 5.5
You will also need to provide at least one satisfactory reference from a previous educational establishment
Full dexterity and good eyesight is required for a career in make-up (with or without contact lens, glasses or other). Students with disabilities will be assessed on an individual basis to confirm suitability for the course
What will I achieve?
On successful completion of this course you will receive City & Guilds Level 3 Diploma in Hair and Media Make-up.
What will I learn?
Working with others in beauty related industries
Monitor and maintain health and safety in the salon
Creative hair designp
Design and apply body art
Fashion and photographic make-up
Apply airbrush make-up
Provide lash and brow treatments
Apply individual permanent lashes
How is the course taught?
- Practical sessions
- Work experience placement
- Group work
How am I assessed?
- External online exams
- Written projects and assignments
- Practical observations
Work experience opportunities
Students studying Media Make-up will benefit from working in our real hair and beauty salon The Retreat, and gain 315 hours of work experience within industry.
Alongside your studies you will have the opportunity to attend local masterclasses and obtain a variety of additional certificates and learn valuable life-skills including lash lift, brows, St. Tropez tanning, gel nails and airbrush make-up.
Previous students have also enjoyed field trips to destinations including Make Up Forever in Paris and Professional Beauty London.
English and Maths
English and maths are essential in the hair, beauty and make up industry to ensure excellent communication with clients, accurate bookings and payments, treatment and service costings, colour and product mixing ratios. These skills will be embedded into your course.
If you have not yet achieved grade 4 GCSE in these subjects you will be supported to work towards achieving qualifications.
Where can I progress?
On successful completion of this course you can progress to degree level study, such as the FdA Advanced Make-up Techniques and Business Enterprise at Newcastle College University Centre.
You can also progress directly into industry working as a professional make-up artist in photographic studios, department stores, make-up stores, salons or as a mobile artist.
If you are aged 16-18 when you begin your course you are likely to be eligible for free tuition. Detailed information can be found within the financial support section.
Get In Touch
What can I do with a qualification in Hair and Beauty?
Leisure and Sports Managers
- Ensures custody of all cash receipts and organises regular stock checks.
- Recruits, supervises and trains staff.
- Determines financial, staffing, material and other short- and long-term needs.
- Advises on the facilities available and promotes publicity in relation to shows, games, races, new theme parks, etc..
- Keeps abreast of new trends and developments in recreational activities and arranges exhibitions, theatrical productions, concerts, demonstrations etc..
- Ensures that facilities are kept clean and in good condition and that appropriate health and safety requirements are adhered to.
- Organises timetable of activities/schedule of programmes.
Median Salary£31,312 View more
Hairdressing and Beauty Salon Managers and Proprietors
- Ensures financial accounts for the business are maintained.
- Demonstrates, advises on and sells hair and/or beauty products.
- Checks and maintains any equipment, and ensures that all safety requirements are met.
- Undertakes and/or directs hair treatments and/or beauty therapy.
- Ensures clients.
- Provides clients with information and advice on styles and treatments, and resolves any complaints or problems.
- Controls the allocation, training and remuneration of staff.
- Determines staffing, financial, material and other short- and long-term needs.
Median Salary£23,711 View more
Beauticians and Related Occupations
- Maintains client records, sells and advises on cosmetic products and services, and ensures appropriate health and safety issues are addressed.
- Advises clients on diet and exercise to assist in weight loss and slimming.
- Recognises problems and refers clients to medical practitioners if appropriate.
- Performs specialist treatments for conditions such as acne, applies skin rejuvenation therapies.
- Applies make-up to hide blemishes or enhance facial features and advises clients on skin care and make-up techniques.
- Cleans, shapes and polishes finger and toe nails, applies nail extensions.
- Uses waxing, threading, sugaring and other epilation techniques to remove any unwanted body hair.
- Massages scalp, face and other parts of the body and carries out spray tanning.
- Discusses clients requirements, analyses and advises client on appropriate skin care, and applies treatments to the face or body.
Median Salary£18,575 View more
Hairdressers and Barbers
- Demonstrates, sells and recommends hair care products to clients and advises them on hair care.
- Ensures hair products are stored and used appropriately and observes relevant health and safety factors.
- Maintains client records and keeps up-to-date with new products, styles and techniques.
- Collects payment, arranges appointments and cleans and tidies salon.
- Shaves and trims beards and moustaches.
- Combs, brushes, blow-dries or sets wet hair in rollers to style or straighten.
- Cuts and trims hair using scissors, clippers, razor and comb.
- Washes, conditions, bleaches, tints or dyes hair and provides any necessary basic scalp treatments.
- Discusses customer requirements, analyses hair condition and other relevant features to define and advise on hair style.