Hair Techniques - Level 2
Start Date: 5th September 2022
More about the course
Are you a keen hair stylist and love to experiment with new styles? Love the idea of being a hairdresser?
This Hair Techniques course will give you a good understanding of the hairdressing industry and the opportunities available in the sector, while helping you to develop the skills you really need for your future career.
You will learn the essential skills and techniques for washing and cutting women's hair, as well as the art of dressing hair. You will develop these skills working on real clients in our real working salon The Retreat.
As part of your course you will take part in masterclasses from experts such as Revlon and undertake a work placement with an employer to ensure you gain real experience.
4 GCSEs at grade 3 or above, including English or maths
What will I achieve?
on successful completion of this course, you will achieve a City and Guilds Level 2 Certificate in Hair Techniques
What will I learn?
Working in the hair industry
Follow health and safety in the salon
Shampoo and condition the hair and scalp
Cut women’s hair
The art of dressing hair
How is the course taught?
Practical training in a real working salon
Work placement within the industry.
How am I assessed?
Online external exams
Work experience opportunities
Alongside your course you will undertake a work placement with an employer for a minimum of 315 hours over the year.
In addition, you may have the opportunity to attend workshops and masterclasses may from Westrow Academy and Revlon.
Previous students have enjoyed field trips to destinations including Wella Academy Paris and Professional Hair London.
English and Maths
English and maths skills are vital to working in the hair and beauty industry and these skills will be embedded into your course through product ratios, client communication, taking bookings, timings, payments and costings.
You will also be supported to work towards Grade 4 GCSEs or equivalent in maths and English if you do not yet hold these.
Where can I progress?
On successful completion of this course you can progress to a Level 2 Hairdressing course.
If you are aged 16-18 when you begin your course you are likely to be eligible for free tuition. Detailed information can be found within the financial support section.
If you are aged 19+ the cost of the course will depend on your circumstances. Our support pages can help you determine your suitability.
Get in touch
What can I do with a qualification in Hair and Beauty
Leisure and Sports Managers
- Ensures custody of all cash receipts and organises regular stock checks.
- Recruits, supervises and trains staff.
- Determines financial, staffing, material and other short- and long-term needs.
- Advises on the facilities available and promotes publicity in relation to shows, games, races, new theme parks, etc..
- Keeps abreast of new trends and developments in recreational activities and arranges exhibitions, theatrical productions, concerts, demonstrations etc..
- Ensures that facilities are kept clean and in good condition and that appropriate health and safety requirements are adhered to.
- Organises timetable of activities/schedule of programmes.
Median Salary£31,312 View more
Hairdressing and Beauty Salon Managers and Proprietors
- Ensures financial accounts for the business are maintained.
- Demonstrates, advises on and sells hair and/or beauty products.
- Checks and maintains any equipment, and ensures that all safety requirements are met.
- Undertakes and/or directs hair treatments and/or beauty therapy.
- Ensures clients.
- Provides clients with information and advice on styles and treatments, and resolves any complaints or problems.
- Controls the allocation, training and remuneration of staff.
- Determines staffing, financial, material and other short- and long-term needs.
Median Salary£23,711 View more
Beauticians and Related Occupations
- Maintains client records, sells and advises on cosmetic products and services, and ensures appropriate health and safety issues are addressed.
- Advises clients on diet and exercise to assist in weight loss and slimming.
- Recognises problems and refers clients to medical practitioners if appropriate.
- Performs specialist treatments for conditions such as acne, applies skin rejuvenation therapies.
- Applies make-up to hide blemishes or enhance facial features and advises clients on skin care and make-up techniques.
- Cleans, shapes and polishes finger and toe nails, applies nail extensions.
- Uses waxing, threading, sugaring and other epilation techniques to remove any unwanted body hair.
- Massages scalp, face and other parts of the body and carries out spray tanning.
- Discusses clients requirements, analyses and advises client on appropriate skin care, and applies treatments to the face or body.
Median Salary£18,575 View more
Hairdressers and Barbers
- Demonstrates, sells and recommends hair care products to clients and advises them on hair care.
- Ensures hair products are stored and used appropriately and observes relevant health and safety factors.
- Maintains client records and keeps up-to-date with new products, styles and techniques.
- Collects payment, arranges appointments and cleans and tidies salon.
- Shaves and trims beards and moustaches.
- Combs, brushes, blow-dries or sets wet hair in rollers to style or straighten.
- Cuts and trims hair using scissors, clippers, razor and comb.
- Washes, conditions, bleaches, tints or dyes hair and provides any necessary basic scalp treatments.
- Discusses customer requirements, analyses hair condition and other relevant features to define and advise on hair style.