FdEng Engineering with Applied Digital Technologies
Start Date: 11th September 2023
- Length 2 years
- Study Full-Time
- Location Rye Hill Campus
FdSc Engineering with Applied Digital Technologies (awarded by NCG)
More about the course
This new qualification has been developed with support from leading North East engineering businesses SMD, Procter & Gamble and MSP to create a new generation of digitally-enabled Engineers to support local industry in the adoption of emerging Industrial Digital Technology.
The course is a unique combination of Engineering and Digital study creating a qualification which is two-thirds engineering principles, and one-third digital knowhow.
Developed to support the region’s Local Industrial Strategy for Advanced Manufacturing, you can choose either a mechanical or electrical engineering stream of study.
Completion of this qualification will give you the knowledge you need to take up an engineering role within industry, and play a key role in supporting employers adapting to applied digital technology.
Get In Touch
What can I do with a qualification in Engineering?
Information technology and telecommunications directors
- Ensures that new technologies are researched and evaluated in the light of the organisation.
- Prioritises and schedules major IT/telecommunications projects.
- Considers the required IT/telecommunications staffing levels, oversees recruitment and appointment of staff and directs training policy.
- Develops the periodic business plan and operational budget for IT/telecommunications to deliver agreed service levels.
- Directs the implementation within the organisation of IT/telecommunications strategy, infrastructure, procurement, procedures and standards.
- Develops in consultation with other senior management the IT/telecommunications strategy of the organisation.
Median Salary£73,040 View more
- Organises and establishes control systems to monitor operational efficiency and performance of materials and systems.
- Ensures that equipment, operation and maintenance comply with design specifications and safety standards.
- Designs mechanical equipment, such as steam, internal combustion and other non-electrical motors for railway locomotives, road vehicles, aeroplanes and other machinery.
- Determines materials, equipment, piping, capacities, layout of plant or system and specification for manufacture.
- Undertakes research and advises on energy use, materials handling, thermodynamic processes, fluid mechanics, vehicles and environmental controls.
Median Salary£42,499 View more
- Organises and establishes control systems to monitor the performance and safety of electrical assemblies and systems.
- Ensures that manufacture, operation and maintenance comply with design specifications and contractual arrangements.
- Determines and specifies manufacturing methods of electrical systems.
- Supervises, controls and monitors the operation of electrical generation, transmission and distribution systems.
Median Salary£49,811 View more
- Tests, diagnoses faults and undertakes repair of electronic equipment.
- Organises and establishes control systems to monitor performance and evaluate designs.
- Determines and specifies appropriate production and/or installation methods and quality and safety standards.
- Undertakes research and advises on all aspects of telecommunications equipment, radar, telemetry and remote control systems, data processing equipment, microwaves and other electronic equipment.
Median Salary£50,515 View more
Design and development engineers
- Prepares specifications for materials and other components.
- Produces final design information for use in preparation of layouts, parts lists, etc..
- Arranges construction and testing of model or prototype and modifies design if necessary.
- Prepares working designs for steam, aero, turbine, marine and electrical engines, mechanical instruments, aircraft and missile structures, vehicle and ship structures, plant and machinery equipment, domestic electrical appliances, building systems and services, and electronic computing and telecommunications equipment.
- Assesses product requirements, including costs, manufacturing feasibility and market requirements.
Median Salary£43,438 View more
Production and process engineers
- Designs, controls and constructs process plants to manufacture products.
- Undertakes research and develops processes to achieve physical and/or chemical change for oil, pharmaceutical, synthetic, plastic, food and other products.
- Liaises with materials buying, storing and controlling departments to ensure a steady flow of supplies.
- Advises management on and ensures effective implementation of new production methods, techniques and equipment.
- Investigates and eliminates potential hazards and bottlenecks in production.
- Devises and implements production control methods to monitor operational efficiency.
- Recommends optimum equipment and layout and prepares drawings and specifications.
- Studies existing and alternative production methods, regarding work flow, plant layout, types of machinery and cost.
Median Salary£42,732 View more
Engineering professionals n.e.c.
- Provides technical consultancy services.
- Examines and advises on patent applications.
- Prepare sketches, drawings and specifications showing materials to be used, construction and finishing methods and other details.
- Devises and implements control systems to monitor operational efficiency and performance of system and materials.
- Designs new systems and equipment with regard to cost, market requirements and feasibility of manufacture.
- Establishes principles and techniques to improve the quality, durability and performance of materials such as textiles, glass, rubber, plastics, ceramics, metals and alloys.
- Researches into problem areas to advance basic knowledge, evaluate new theories and techniques and to solve specific problems.
Median Salary£41,841 View more
Quality control and planning engineers
- Oversees effective implementation of adopted processes, schedules and procedures.
- Prepares plan of sequence of operations and completion dates for each phase of production or processing.
- Analyses plans, drawings, specifications and safety, quality, accuracy, reliability and contractual requirements.
- Prepares work flow charts for individual departments and compiles detailed instructions on processes, work methods and quality and safety standards for workers.
- Ensures accuracy of machines, jigs, fixtures, gauges and other manufacturing and testing equipment.
- Devises inspection, testing and evaluation methods for bought-in materials, components, semi-finished and finished products.
Median Salary£38,616 View more
- Visits and advises clients on the use and servicing of mechanical and chemical engineering products and services.
- Inspects completed aircraft maintenance work to certify that it meets standards and the aircraft is ready for operation.
- Diagnoses and detects faults and implements procedures to maintain efficient operation of systems and equipment.
- Prepares estimates of materials, equipment and labour required for engineering projects.
- Sets up equipment, undertakes tests, takes readings, performs calculations and records and interprets data.
- Plans and prepares work and test schedules based on specifications and drawings.
Median Salary£33,396 View more
TV, video and audio engineers
- Carries out service tasks such as cleaning and insulation testing according to schedule.
- Re-assembles equipment, tests for correct functioning and makes any necessary further adjustments.
- Dismantles equipment and repairs or replaces faulty components or wiring.
- Uses electronic testing equipment to diagnose faults and check voltages and resistance.
- Examines equipment and observes reception to determine nature of defect.