Start Date: Various
More about the course
Are you looking for a practical, hands-on and exciting career in an in-demand industry? Ever thought you’d love being a bricklayer but not sure where to start? If so, this Bricklayer apprenticeship could be for you.
As a bricklaying apprentice, you will experience a real-life work environment whilst learning new skills and gaining knowledge towards the subject, as well as learning how to present yourself in a work place environment.
This course is a great starting point if you want to get into the building industry and build a foundation for a strong future. You’ll learn all about different materials, construction techniques and energy efficiency both at college and in your workplace.
If this is the apprenticeship for you, sign up today.
Get in touch
What can I do with a qualification in Construction
- Organises and establishes control systems to monitor the performance and safety of electrical assemblies and systems.
- Ensures that manufacture, operation and maintenance comply with design specifications and contractual arrangements.
- Determines and specifies manufacturing methods of electrical systems.
- Supervises, controls and monitors the operation of electrical generation, transmission and distribution systems.
Median Salary£49,811 View more
- Tests, diagnoses faults and undertakes repair of electronic equipment.
- Organises and establishes control systems to monitor performance and evaluate designs.
- Determines and specifies appropriate production and/or installation methods and quality and safety standards.
- Undertakes research and advises on all aspects of telecommunications equipment, radar, telemetry and remote control systems, data processing equipment, microwaves and other electronic equipment.
Median Salary£50,515 View more
Electricians and Electrical Fitters
- Examines electrical plant or machinery, domestic appliances and other electrical assembly for faults using test equipment and replaces worn parts and faulty wiring.
- Installs electrical plant, machinery and other electrical fixtures and appliances such as fuse boxes, generators, light sockets etc..
- Assembles parts and sub-assemblies using hand tools and by brazing, riveting or welding.
- Cuts, bends and installs electrical conduit.
- Selects, cuts and lays wires and connects to sockets, plugs or terminals by crimping, soldering, brazing or bolting.
- Examines drawings, specifications and wiring diagrams to determine the method and sequence of operations.
Median Salary£31,872 View more
- Erects and maintains mobile telecommunications infrastructure.
- Locates and repairs faults to lines and ancillary equipment.
- Connects cables and tests for any defects.
- Assists with the erection of wooden poles or steel towers to carry overhead lines.
- Tests installation and makes any further necessary adjustments.
- Uses testing equipment to locate defective components of circuitry and makes any necessary repairs.
- Installs telephones, switchboards and coin operated phone boxes.
- Fixes connecting wires from underground and aerial lines to premises and connects cable terminals to inside wiring.
- Installs internal cabling and wiring for telephone systems and fits and wires junction and distribution boxes.
Median Salary£33,573 View more
Bricklayers and Masons
- Levels, aligns and embeds stone in mortar and faces brick, concrete or steel frame with stone to make and repair structures.
- Uses hand and power tools to shape, trim, carve, cut letters in and polish stone.
- Spreads mortar on foundations and bricks, and places, levels and aligns bricks in mortar bed.
- Marks and cuts stone using hammers, mallet and hand or pneumatic chisels.
- Examines drawings, photographs and specifications to determine job requirements.
Median Salary£26,494 View more
Roofers, Roof Tilers and Slaters
- Seals edges of roof with mortar and ensures that joints are watertight.
- Lays, aligns and secures successive overlapping layers of roofing material.
- Lays and secures underfelt and covers with hot bitumen or other adhesive compound.
- Cuts wooden battens, felt and underfelt to required size.
- Measures roof or exterior wall and calculates required amounts of underfelt, tiles, slates or thatching material.
Median Salary£24,498 View more
Plumbers and Heating and Ventilating Engineers
- Repairs burst pipes and mechanical and combustion faults and replaces faulty taps, washers, valves, etc.
- Attaches fittings and joins piping by welding, soldering, cementing, fusing, screwing or other methods.
- Tests completed installation for leaks and makes any necessary adjustments.
- Installs fittings such as storage tanks, cookers, baths, toilets, taps and valves, refrigerators, boilers, radiators and fires.
- Measures and cuts required lengths of copper, lead, steel, iron, aluminium or plastic using hand or machine tools.
- Examines drawings and specifications to determine layout of system.
Median Salary£30,573 View more
Carpenters and Joiners
- Maintains and repairs woodwork and fittings.
- Checks accuracy of work with square, rule and spirit level.
- Aligns and fixes prepared wood pieces by screwing, nailing, gluing and dowelling to form frames, shop fronts, counter units, decking, theatrical sets, furniture, small wooden craft, scale models and wooden templates.
- Selects and measures appropriate wood and cuts, shapes and drills to specification using saws, planes, chisels and other power or hand tools.
- Examines drawings and specifications to determine job requirements.
Median Salary£26,909 View more
Construction and Building Trades n.e.c.
- Checks and puts on diving suit and equipment and descends underwater to carry out construction, maintenance and repair tasks on sites such as oil rigs, harbours, bridges etc.
- Erects and repairs fencing.
- Maintains and repairs steeples, industrial chimneys and other high structures, and installs and replaces lightning conductors.
- Installs plumbing fixtures, woodwork structures and fittings, and sets glass in frames.
- Pours and levels concrete, prepares surfaces for painting and plastering, and mixes and applies plaster and paint.
- Lays bricks, tiles and building blocks to construct, repair and decorate buildings.
- Selects, measures and cuts steel bars, rods and wire to required lengths, positions and fixes reinforcements into position and tensions as required using hydraulic jacks.
Median Salary£25,031 View more
- Checks surface level using line, spirit level and straight edge.
- Covers and seals joints between boards and finishes surface.
- Measures, cuts, installs and secures plaster board and/or ornamental plasterwork to walls and ceilings.
- Pours liquid plaster into mould to cast ornamental plaster work.
- Applies and smoothes one or more coats of plaster and produces a finished surface, using hand tools or mechanical spray.
- Mixes, or directs the mixing of, plaster to desired consistency.