Hair Professionals Intermediate Apprenticeship
Start Date: 4th January 2021
Other start dates:
More about the course
Are you passionate about hair design? Do you want to be a cut above in this exciting and creative industry?
On the Hair Professional apprenticeship you will learn the skills to be able to carry out this exciting hairdressing salon role, including washing and styling hair, cutting and colour services, as well as the essential day to day booking appointments and working on the reception. You will have the opportunity to carry out and receive treatments on other students and also provide a range of suitable models on a weekly basis.
Working in industry, you will learn on the job whilst learning alongside tutors and industry-experienced experts at Newcastle College.
If you’re looking to get into industry, earn while you learn and learn the skills you need to become a professional hairdresser, this apprenticeship is for you.
4 GCSEs at grade 4 or above including English or maths
What will I achieve?
Once you have successfully completed this course you will receive a City & Guilds Level 2 Hair Professional qualification.
What will I learn?
- Shampoo, condition and treat the hair and scalp
- Cut hair using a range of techniques to create a variety of looks
- Style and finish hair using a range of techniques to achieve a variety of looks
- Colour and lighten hair using a range of techniques
- Perming hair
How is the course taught?
- Practical skills and training
- Group work and demonstrations
- Case studies
How am I assessed?
- Class work
- Practical assessment
- End point assessment
English and Maths
English and maths is taught alongside this course, to help you enhance your skills. The course will help you build on your skills in a practical setting and improve your written and verbal skills in working with clients.
Where can I progress?
After completing this course successfully, you will be able to progress onto a Level 3 Hair Professional apprenticeship.
If you are aged 16-18 when you begin your course you are likely to be eligible for free tuition. Detailed information can be found within the financial support section.
If you are aged 19+ the cost of the course will depend on your circumstances. Our support pages can help you determine your suitability.
Get in touch
What can I do with a qualification in Hair and Beauty
Leisure and Sports Managers
- Ensures custody of all cash receipts and organises regular stock checks.
- Recruits, supervises and trains staff.
- Determines financial, staffing, material and other short- and long-term needs.
- Advises on the facilities available and promotes publicity in relation to shows, games, races, new theme parks, etc..
- Keeps abreast of new trends and developments in recreational activities and arranges exhibitions, theatrical productions, concerts, demonstrations etc..
- Ensures that facilities are kept clean and in good condition and that appropriate health and safety requirements are adhered to.
- Organises timetable of activities/schedule of programmes.
Median Salary£31,312 View more
Hairdressing and Beauty Salon Managers and Proprietors
- Ensures financial accounts for the business are maintained.
- Demonstrates, advises on and sells hair and/or beauty products.
- Checks and maintains any equipment, and ensures that all safety requirements are met.
- Undertakes and/or directs hair treatments and/or beauty therapy.
- Ensures clients.
- Provides clients with information and advice on styles and treatments, and resolves any complaints or problems.
- Controls the allocation, training and remuneration of staff.
- Determines staffing, financial, material and other short- and long-term needs.
Median Salary£23,711 View more
Beauticians and Related Occupations
- Maintains client records, sells and advises on cosmetic products and services, and ensures appropriate health and safety issues are addressed.
- Advises clients on diet and exercise to assist in weight loss and slimming.
- Recognises problems and refers clients to medical practitioners if appropriate.
- Performs specialist treatments for conditions such as acne, applies skin rejuvenation therapies.
- Applies make-up to hide blemishes or enhance facial features and advises clients on skin care and make-up techniques.
- Cleans, shapes and polishes finger and toe nails, applies nail extensions.
- Uses waxing, threading, sugaring and other epilation techniques to remove any unwanted body hair.
- Massages scalp, face and other parts of the body and carries out spray tanning.
- Discusses clients requirements, analyses and advises client on appropriate skin care, and applies treatments to the face or body.
Median Salary£18,575 View more
Hairdressers and Barbers
- Demonstrates, sells and recommends hair care products to clients and advises them on hair care.
- Ensures hair products are stored and used appropriately and observes relevant health and safety factors.
- Maintains client records and keeps up-to-date with new products, styles and techniques.
- Collects payment, arranges appointments and cleans and tidies salon.
- Shaves and trims beards and moustaches.
- Combs, brushes, blow-dries or sets wet hair in rollers to style or straighten.
- Cuts and trims hair using scissors, clippers, razor and comb.
- Washes, conditions, bleaches, tints or dyes hair and provides any necessary basic scalp treatments.
- Discusses customer requirements, analyses hair condition and other relevant features to define and advise on hair style.