BSc (Hons) Applied Science (Biotechnology)
Start Date: 12th September 2022
More about the course
Interested in biotechnology? Want to work in an expanding industry? Our Applied Science (Biotechnology) degree will allow you to apply your enthusiasm and aptitude for biotechnology.
You will develop specialist knowledge required to work in the fields of bioscience and biotechnology. You will expand your knowledge of cell biology, clinical and diagnostic enzymology and genetic modification and carry out practical work, including gel electrophoresis and polymerase chain reactions (PCR).
This course has been developed as a result of an increasing demand and growth from local pharmaceutical and biotechnology related companies.
Get in touch
What can I do with a qualification in Science
- Develops procedures for quality control of manufactured products.
- Tests techniques and processes for reliability under a variety of conditions.
- Analyses results and experimental data.
- Conducts experiments to identify chemical composition, energy and chemical changes in natural substances and processed materials.
- Develops experimental procedures, instruments and recording and testing systems.
Median Salary£35,281 View more
Research and Development Managers
- Monitors the standards of scientific and technical research undertaken by the research team.
- Plans work schedules, assigns tasks and delegates responsibilities to the research and development team.
- Develops research methodology, implements and reports upon research investigations undertaken.
- Liaises with production departments to investigate and resolve manufacturing problems.
- Establishes product design and performance objectives in consultation with other business functions.
Median Salary£51,905 View more
- Records and collates data obtained from experimental work and documents all work carried out.
- Operates and services specialised scientific equipment, undertakes prescribed measurements and analyses and ensures that sterile conditions necessary for some equipment are maintained.
- Grows cultures of bacteria and viruses, prepares tissue sections and other organic and inorganic material for examination and stains and fixes slides for microscope work.
- Prepares and analyses body fluids, secretions and/or tissue to detect infections or to examine the effects of different drugs.
- Sets up and assists with the construction and the development of scientific apparatus for experimental, demonstration or other purposes.
Median Salary£23,297 View more
Medical and Dental Technicians
- Takes samples for clinical examination.
- Performs related medical tasks including treating hair and scalp disorders and conducting tests on glaucoma patients.
- Measures patients for, and fits them with, surgical appliances, hearing aids and artificial limbs.
- Makes dentures, crowns, bridges, orthodontic and other dental appliances according to individual patient requirements.
- Undertakes scaling and polishing of teeth, applies medicaments, carries out post-operative hygiene work and advises on preventative dentistry.
- Operates equipment to diagnose and record or treat hearing, heart, brain, lung and kidney ailments.
Median Salary£30,753 View more
- Applies psychological treatment methods to help athletes achieve optimum mental health and enhance sporting performance.
- Applies professional knowledge and techniques within the workplace, addressing issues such as job design, work groups, motivation etc..
- Maintains required contacts with family members, education or other health professionals, as appropriate, and recommends possible solutions to problems presented.
- Studies psychological factors in the treatment and prevention of mental illness or emotional and personality disorders.
- Analyses the effect of hereditary, social and physical factors on thought and behaviour.
- Observes and experiments on humans and animals to measure mental and physical characteristics.
- Develops treatment and guidance methods and gives treatment or guidance using a variety of therapy and counselling techniques.
- Develops and administers tests to measure intelligence, abilities, aptitudes, etc. and assesses results.