PGCE Learning Difficulties and Disabilities
Start Date: 5th September 2022
More about the course
This PGCE in Learning Learning Difficulties and Disabilities course will allow you to build on knowledge from your degree level study and develop specialist skills and knowledge in teaching and supporting learners in the post-14 sector. You will have experience or knowledge of the sector through previous study, employment, voluntary work or personal experience and be able to apply it in a real context.
You will have a patient and caring nature, be understanding, and have good interpersonal skills. As part of the course you will undertake a work placement of 100 hours within a SEND setting to develop your teaching style and practice.
Once you complete this course you will be eligible to apply for QTLS which has parity of esteem with QTS.
Get In Touch
What can I do with a qualification in Teaching
Speech and language therapists
- Writes reports and maintains client caseloads.
- Counsels relatives to help cope with the problems created by a patient.
- Attends case conferences and liaises with other specialists such as doctors, teachers, social workers and psychologists.
- Treats speech and language disorders by coaching and counselling clients or through the use of artificial communication devices.
- Designs and initiates appropriate rehabilitation and/or remedial programmes of treatment.
- Assesses, tests and diagnoses a client.
Median Salary£35,668 View more
Special needs education teaching professionals
- Discusses student.
- Updates and maintains students.
- Liaises with other professionals, such as social workers, speech and language therapists and educational psychologists.
- Supervises students in classroom and maintains discipline.
- Prepares, assigns and corrects exercises to record and evaluate students progress.
- Encourages the student to develop self-help skills to circumvent the limitations imposed by their disability.
- Develops and adapts conventional teaching methods to meet the individual student.
- Gives instruction, using techniques appropriate to the student.
- Assesses student.
- Creates a safe, stimulating and supportive learning environment for students.
Median Salary£43,982 View more
Authors, writers and translators
- Provides communication support for the hard of hearing or the visually impaired.
- Converts documents or spoken statements from original or source language into another language.
- Writes instruction manuals and user guides, technical reports, catalogues and indexes, prepares sales literature and writes technical articles for trade journals.
- Negotiates contracts with freelance agents and with buyer on behalf of writer.
- Selects material for publication, checks style, grammar and accuracy of content, arranges for any necessary revisions and checks proof copies before printing.
- Generates and develops creative ideas for literary material.
- Determines subject matter and researches as necessary by interviewing, attending public events, seeking out records, observing etc..
Median Salary£31,912 View more
Educational support assistants
- Provides feedback to teachers and completes and maintains records.
- Attends to child.
- Helps and encourages child to communicate.
- Implements care programmes, as appropriate.
- Identifies signs of distress and offers reassurance.
- Helps child understand instruction through a variety of means and encourages self-confidence and independence.
- Supports schoolwork under teacher.
Median Salary£20,536 View more
Houseparents and residential wardens
- Keeps records and writes reports.
- Maintains contact and discusses problems/progress with other staff and social workers.
- Establishes and maintains contact with members of the neighbouring community and/or the residents.
- Provides one-to-one counselling or group therapy.
- Ensures that all material needs of residents are provided and endeavours to resolve any problems that they may have.
- Plans and participates in games and leisure activities to encourage emotional, social, physical and intellectual development.
- Creates friendly, secure atmosphere and tries to gain the trust and confidence of those in the home or under supervision.
Median Salary£24,195 View more
- Supervises and accompanies children who are taking part in a theatrical, television or film production.
- Communicates with colleagues and maintains accurate records.
- Supervises contact between parents and separated children.
- Organises toilet and meal stops, as appropriate.
- Supports and secures chair bound clients.
- Transports clients safely and securely between approved destinations.
Median Salary£19,814 View more
Secondary Education Teaching Professionals
- Assists with or plans and develops curriculum and rota of teaching duties.
- Discusses progress with student, parents and/or other education professionals.
- Supervises teaching assistants and trainees.
- Undertakes pastoral duties.
- Supervises any practical work and maintains classroom discipline.
- Maintains records of students.
- Prepares students for external examinations and administers and invigilates these examinations.
- Prepares, assigns and corrects exercises and examinations to record and evaluate students.
- Prepares and delivers courses and lessons in accordance with curriculum requirements and teaches one or more subjects.
Median Salary£49,465 View more
Education Advisers and School Inspectors
- Prepares reports on schools concerning teaching standards, educational standards being achieved, the spiritual, moral and social development of pupils, resource management etc.
- Observes teaching, assesses learning level and discusses any apparent faults with teachers, heads of department and head teachers.
- Arranges for the provision of school medical and meals services.
- Verifies that school buildings are adequately maintained.
- Appoints and controls teaching staff.
- Plans and advises on the provision of special schools for children with physical or learning disabilities.
- Advises on all aspects of education and ensures that all statutory educational requirements are being met.
Median Salary£40,125 View more
Teaching and Other Educational Professionals n.e.c.
- Teaches English as a foreign language and assists in the tuition of foreign languages.
- Provides private academic, vocational and other instruction to individuals or groups.
- Co-ordinates the activities of private music and dancing schools, training centres and similar establishments.
- Designs and implements methods of assessing the performance of students, co-ordinates and undertakes the evaluation of assessments and awards grades of merit based upon performance.
Median Salary£34,854 View more
Careers Advisers and Vocational Guidance Specialists
- Monitors progress and welfare of young people in employment and advises them on any difficulties.
- Organises careers forums and exhibitions and establishes and maintains contact with local employers, colleges and training providers.
- Liaises with employers to determine employment opportunities and advises schools, colleges or individuals accordingly.
- Visits educational and other establishments to give talks and distribute information regarding careers.
- Advises on appropriate courses of study or avenues into employment.
- Uses an interview, questionnaire and/or psychological or other test to determine the aptitude, preferences and temperament of the client.