*This is a prospective new course and will run subject to its validation in 2018
The music industry needs driven, creative and pro-active people that have a broad understanding of the multifaceted music, sound and performance industry. This exciting BMus has been designed in consultation with music industry experts with this in mind.
The Popular Music Performance BMus at Newcastle College will focus and enhance your creative and career aspirations, whether that be as a Live or Studio Performer, Session Musician, Educator, Composer or Songwriter, or indeed any combination of these as part of a Portfolio Career.
This programme puts you in the centre of a vibrant creative hub within the Performance Academy giving you the opportunity to work alongside, and in collaboration with Music Producers and Sound Engineers, Media and Film Producers and other Performing and Visual artists. So whether you want to record the next hit single or album, score for TV or film, or see yourself and a pit-band musician, there is scope to do this with the varied modules tailored to your industry aspirations. And working alongside our industry partners such as Gigs North East it will allow opportunities to work at the heart of the vibrant North East music scene.
By studying at Newcastle College’s Performance Academy you gain access to years of industry knowledge from our course team who are all actively working in the industry.
The professional standard facilities including:
• Two music venues
• Recording studios including Pro-Tool studios (West End Campus) running UAD Apollo, Solid Sate Logic and much more
• Extensive sequencing labs running Logic Pro and Ableton
• Ten rehearsal studios
• A dedicated music store with hi-tech equipment for performance and recording, all of which bookable for free as part of your course.
Industry Guest Speakers and Visiting Lecturers, for example (but not a complete list):
• John Waugh (The 1975)
• Aaron Spears (Usher, Alicia Keys)
• Bill Kelliher (Mastodon)
• Nicko McBrain (Iron Maiden)
• Dave Weckl (Session Musician, Paul Simon, Madonna, Robert Plant)
• Thomas Lang (Session Musician, Robert Fripp, Glen Hughes, Kelly Clarkson)
• Lee Wrathe (Ibanez)
• Alex Hutchings (Roland, Boss, Steven Wilson)
This course runs on the following dates:
Start Date: 17/09/2018 at 09:00
Duration: 3 Years
Venue: Performance Academy, Rye Hill Campus